Five Big EastTeams in ESPN Top 25

All indications aim toward Marquette being in every major publication's top 25 when it hosts Hillsdale College Nov. 11 in the season opener.

Marquette is 17th in ESPN's poll, and the Blue Ribbon yearbook puts MU at number 12.,”Five Big East teams in ESPN Top 25

Marquette is 17th in ESPN's poll, and the Blue Ribbon yearbook puts MU at number 12. It's certainly debatable whether MU is top 25-caliber, but number 12 pushes the envelope. Both polls place MU ahead of where it finished at the end of the 2003 regular season, which was number 20.

Of course, Wade & Co. commanded greater respect en route to the Final Four. But number 12? Anybody think this gives MU's roster too much credit? Let's not forget Marquette lost its best player in Steve Novak, and his ideal power forward replacement, Ryan Amoroso, who transferred to San Diego State. Not one frontcourt player on this year's roster eclipsed 3.0 RPG in 05-06.

The guard-oriented offense has proven to win college games, but rankings that high should mean the publication thinks a team is in contention for a national championship. National title winners have at least one inside scorer and terrific boards' man.

'06: Joakim Noah, Florida (14.2 PPG, 7.1 RPG)

'05: Sean May, North Carolina (17.5 PPG, 10.7 RPG)

'04: Emeka Okafor, UCONN (13.8 PPG, 10.6 RPG career)

'03: Carmelo Anthony, Syracuse (22.2 PPG, 10.0 RPG)

'02: Chris Wilcox, Maryland (12.0 PPG, 7.1 RPG)

'01: Carlos Boozer, Duke (13.5 PPG, 6.5 RPG)

Shane Battier, Duke (19.9 PPG, 7.3 RPG)

The list goes on.

Then again, we are talking about a pre-season poll, so let's not read too deeply into it-which is exactly what I just did. But it's fun.