Eagles try to raise their game for conference meet

The cross country team will compete in Boston for the first time in 16 years Friday in a race that will determine the fate of the women's squad, which needs to run its most impressive race of the year.

Marquette plans to evaluate the Big East Championship course today. Venue familiarity is critical because it allows the team to strategize pacing techniques and also to familiarize itself with the course's terrain.

The women's team, which has qualified for the NCAA Championships six consecutive years, feels a sense of urgency. Two weekends ago, Marquette ran against three Big East teams at the Pre-National Invitational. The women bested Louisville, while losing to Georgetown and Villanova.

Marquette thought its showing was good, but far from great. The biggest positive for the Golden Eagles was leaving the race with the confidence that senior captain Michaela Courtney is inching closer to last year's form. She finished second for the Golden Eagles and 73rd overall.

"She'll be fine; she's got more experience than anyone on this team," junior Cassie Peller said.

Providence and Pittsburgh will compete for a conference championship on the women's side. Both finished in the top five in the same pool at Pre-Nationals, a pool thought to be more competitive than Marquette's. Head coach Dave Uhrich said it is difficult to get a feel for teams' talent without opposing them, though.

"In a big meet like (Big East), it's emotional," he said. "You can't allow yourself to get too caught up in that. If you do, you'll go too hard. You've got to run at an even pace."

Senior Brent Des Roches is one who has succeeded in keeping his emotions in check. He represents the best chance the men's team has at making the NCAA meet because his times have been nationally competitive.

The Golden Eagles hope to upset at least a few ranked opponents, senior Jeremy Williams said.

"The short end of it is that we're going to get out there and run our butts off," he added.

Both teams came out of Pre-Nationals feeling lukewarm about their performances. The phrase "pretty good" was uttered frequently in describing the team's outing.

But, especially for the women, the ante will be upped tomorrow.