Candidates lie on résumés, survey says

According to a survey released last week by CareerBuilder.com, 57 percent of hiring managers have caught lies on candidates' rAcsumAcs. Of those hiring managers, 93 percent did not hire the fibbing candidate.,”

A job candidate may look good on paper, but still lose the job because of lying — before being hired.

According to a survey released last week by CareerBuilder.com, 57 percent of hiring managers have caught lies on candidates' rAcsumAcs. Of those hiring managers, 93 percent did not hire the fibbing candidate.

The most commonly caught lie is stretching dates to cover up employment gaps, according to a press release. Lies about past employers, academic institutions or degrees, skills, certifications and accomplishments also appear on rAcsumAcs.

"They think they might only be stretching the truth, but employers look into that and find it's more than stretching the truth," said Eric Bigalke, online specialist account manager for CareerBuilder.com.

According to the press release, 92 percent of hiring managers conduct background checks on employees, which is how the facts are proven false.

Some lies or misrepresentations are alarmingly significant.

"We've had a number of folks falsify degrees," said Jim Spangler, vice president of human resources for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "We check criminal records and we've had a number of people omit serious crimes and at times jail time."

Although 57 percent of hiring managers have caught a fib, only 5 percent of employees admit to lying.

"I think the main explanation is whenever you are trying to get hired for a position, you always want to make yourself look the best," Bigalke said.

Most, if not all, job applications have the candidate sign to affirm they are truthfully representing themselves. Lies do not lose significance over time and can remain grounds for dismissal even 10 years later, according to Laura Kestner, director of the Career Services Center.

While 43 percent of employers immediately dismiss a candidate after catching a lie, others said it depends on the candidate and the situation, according to the study. They may choose to bring it up in an interview and ask for an explanation.

Not only can fibbing cost applicants the job and hurt their character, but it can also hurt the candidates who are truly qualified for the position.

Web sites, such as www.fakeresume.com, are now informing people on methods to fake a college education. Tips include taking a campus tour, memorizing a couple names of professors and how to fake your transcript.

The site also gives tips on how to slant or inflate your previous job tasks and salary history so it is believable.

Proper rAcsumAc etiquette and tips can eliminate any need to lie.

"It's important that you create and view the language that highlights your skills," said Kestner. "For some students that feels like adding fluff, but you really need to look at what your skills are and be able to articulate those.

"The rule I tell students is if you are unsure about how to phrase something, think about if your former supervisor would accept it."

Employment gaps or other personal issues can be explained in a cover letter, Kestner said.

The issue of grade point averages can be misrepresentative.

"One I think students don't feel is a lie, but it can be misconstrued, is putting your major grade point average only," Kestner said. "You need to put both your major and cumulative grade point average."