Golden Eagles let chance at first place slip away

Maybe the pre-game and halftime ceremonies that honored the program's parents and alumnae had something to do with it. Maybe it was the uncommonly mild October weather. Maybe it was the anti-climactic way in which the West Virginia players stretched after the game, as if they had won a mere exhibition contest.

Sunday's match never felt like a battle for first place.

Marquette head coach Markus Roeders was the first to admit his team's performance contributed to the deflated intensity of the game.

"We lacked a little bit of fight," Roeders said. "The ideas were there, but the part of just grinding it out and doing it for 90 minutes – that's what you've got to bring."

And the Golden Eagles (5-5-4, 3-3-1 Big East) didn't. They could not afford a sloppy first half against the No. 7 Mountaineers (11-1-2, 5-1-1), who won 2-0 at Valley Fields to take firm control of the Big East American Division.

"We've said it all year: 'When are we going to able to put two halves together and play at our best both halves?' " junior goalkeeper Laura Boyer said. "We get it done here and there, but a few breakdowns can kill us."

The Marquette offense was not able to mount many offensive charges against West Virginia. Here, fresman midfielder Michelle Compty (near) moves the ball up the field, while sophomore defender Shannon Cusick (far) looks on.

Marquette gave West Virginia's Amanda Cicchini too much space on the edge of the 18-yard box in the 28th minute, and she took advantage by curling a shot over Boyer into the top far corner of the net.

The breakthrough was only a matter of time for West Virginia, which twice had struck the crossbar in the opening 20 minutes.

The goal followed a dominant spell for the Mountaineers, who prevented the Golden Eagles from stringing multiple passes together and counter-attacking.

But Roeders was discouraged more with the lack of tenacity and the absence of slide tackles.

"In the first half we didn't tackle hard enough. We didn't compete enough for the 50-50 balls," Roeders said. "Getting down and dirty, you have to have that."

Marquette had more possession in the second half, and senior forward Alison Loughrin nearly tied the game in the 70th minute, but her 20-yard shot went just wide of the far post. The increased urgency, though, amounted to nothing after a defensive breakdown.

Senior midfielder Lauren Weber (left) and her teammates fought for a share of the conference division lead Sunday, but to no avail.

"You can't let your guard down at all. We've got to all be on the same page the whole game," senior midfielder Lauren Weber said. "As soon as you let down, they take advantage."

When Marquette pushed players forward late in the game, West Virginia capitalized to put away the game. Cicchini released teammate Kim Bonilla behind the Golden Eagle defense, and Boyer tripped the West Virginia forward as she tried to sidestep the keeper, forcing a penalty kick in the 83rd minute. Deana Everrett converted to notch her conference-best 14th goal of the season.

The loss dealt another blow to Marquette's postseason aspirations. The Golden Eagles likely will have to win all five remaining regular season games and make some noise in the Big East tournament to have a chance at an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament.

"When things go well, then the fight comes a little easier. When things are more up and down, you've just got to work that much harder at it," Roeders said. "We're close, but we're not getting over the hump."

And they're running out of time to do so.