5 Ways to Avoid Parking Tickets in Milwaukee

What do Target runs, trips to the mall, and Milwaukee adventures all have in common? For starters, they would all be much easier with access to a car. Although Milwaukee’s public transit provides transportation for students to get all around the city, many students opt to park their cars on campus at rates ranging from $452- $772 per academic year. At times, these students meet a great convenience and can cut their trip to Bayshore Mall in half. With the added handiness may come frustration though, as students who are unfamiliar with the regulations fall subject to ticketing. While parking may seemingly be simple, all students should be aware of campus ordinances to assure safety and to avoid high fines.

1) Know the limits to your permit:

On the Department of Public Safety website, the first vital parking rule is to have your permit and be aware of where you can use it. Students with permits and gate cards are only permitted to park in certain garages and lots, so be cautious when parking.  DPS also notes that students are strictly prohibited from, “selling, lending or otherwise transferring a parking permit or gate card to a person other than the registered permit holder.” Keep your card to yourself and you should avoid facing this issue all together.

2) Keep it out and in the open:

Permits for parking must be placed in one’s car window clearly. Students who are issued permits are also given specific instructions on placing their permit in the correct location. In the parking structures at Marquette, each car must have a colored sticker on the back right bumper, as well as an access card. DPS cautions students, as it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure the permit be displayed properly according to the provided instructions. For this simple fix, read up on the instructions in order to avoid a citation from DPS.

3) Stay up to date with special events:

During campus wide events, including family weekend and sporting events, parking will be hard to come across. Those students who cannot find a spot in their assigned parking lot will be rerouted to the next available area. Freshman Maggie Jonas parks in the 16th Street parking facility, but says overall she is thankful for having her car on campus. “Parking has made life easier here,” Jonas said. “Sometimes the lot can be crowded, and I have to drive around looking for a spot, which is definitely frustrating.”

4) Abide by weekend regulations: 

For those times when a friend is visiting or your mom is coming up for the day, make sure to familiarize yourself with Milwaukee’s weekend parking regulations. Parking in the 16th Street and Wells Street structures costs $3 at entry, so it is a great option if you want added security.

City parking is free after 6pm Monday through Saturday, so if you park at 4:30 p.m. make sure not to pay for 3 hours. On Sundays street parking is free most everywhere in Milwaukee. Save the extra quarters for next week’s laundry!

5) Familiarize yourself on overnight parking:

After-hours parking is considered anytime after 4:30 p.m., and this means that all drivers looking to have their car in the lot after this time obtain a special parking pass. Public Safety can be reached by phone to obtain to register the vehicle. Overnight parking typically occurs in the 16th street structure and be aware that a post-pay fee may accompany the temporary parking space.

For street parking, make sure to register licenses plates with the City of Milwaukee (414-286-8350). Cars not registered before 12 a.m. will be ticketed between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.. For those living in apartments with limited parking, you do have the option of buying a street parking pass ($20/4 months). However, this does not grant you access to park anywhere in the city. On even-numbered calendar days, cars with overnight permits must be legally parked on the side of the street with even house numbers. On odd-numbered calendar days, cars must be parked on the opposite side. For more information on street parking or to buy an over-night parking permit, visit the Milwaukee Public Parking website.

• K

KelseyNov 13, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Wow, this has helped me so much with understanding the parking rules in Milwaukee. I have already gotten 3 parking citations, and this article will help me avoid my fourth. Thanks again to the Marquette Journal for informing me of the do’s and don’ts in and around campus.