Minorities face challenge in health field

Education, dedication and positive attitudes among today's minorities are crucial to overcoming challenges of health care providers, according to Karl Self, a Minnesota dentist, who spoke at a College of Health Sciences conference Wednesday.

The conference, dedicated to alumnus Ralph Metcalf, addressed challenges of minority health care professionals.

Self was the featured speaker and spoke about the inequities minorities face in the health care environment and why it is important for minority students to take a more active role in their own surroundings.

As a black American, Self related his accounts of being a minority in dental school and realizing he lacked support and a positive influence, which led him to feel like he didn't belong.

Self said he works to enhance diversity in the work environment by facilitating a mentorship program in order to recruit more minorities in the health care field.

He mentioned the importance of a mentor's ability to facilitate learning and teach the student about the social norms of the field.

More success comes out of interaction between two individuals, he said. With a strong relationship between the individuals, the chances of student retention in the health care field are increased.

"Being a minority in health care poses more challenges than racism," said Jonathan Mou, College of Business senior. "It also involves social, political and financial discrimination as well."

It became evident as Self discussed the disparity of the quality of health care minority patients receive, a hot topic in health care today.

"This current obstacle puts communities of color on unequal playing fields," Self said.

Disparity in the quality of health care varies among different racial groups and affects patients' health statuses. For example, blacks are more closely associated as patients of heart disease, HIV, AIDS and cancer as opposed to Caucasian counterparts, Self said. The disparity results in less preventative care for minorities.

Self said if more minorities enter the health care field, the outbreak of health disparity will eventually be quelled. Then there will hopefully be diversity in hospitals, and health care providers and drug companies will provide equal representation among Latinos, Asians, American Indians and blacks.

A Marquette official said the spark of reform should come from within the health care field.

"With any problem, any solution should start within its community," said Natalie Gross, interim assistant dean for multicultural programs. "You work until you fix the problem, then you seek outside support."

Self said minorities bring more background culture and experiences to the field and help level the playing field.

Self's advice for minority students in health care is to seek positive influences from professionals. The race of whomever he or she finds is not necessarily important as long as the mentor helps the student stay focused on achieving his or her goals.

However, Self said at the end of the day, health care professionals share the same goal.

"Diversity and healthcare is not about representation, it's about saving lives," Self said.