Women’s lacrosse concludes homestand with losses

The Marquette women’s lacrosse team lost to two Big East foes this weekend, dropping contests to Villanova and Rutgers. With the losses, the Golden Eagles fall to 2-8 on the season and extend their losing streak to six.

The weekend opened Friday night as the team faced the Villanova Wildcats.  Right off the opening draw, it looked like a tight battle.  The Wildcats scored the first two goals, but Marquette answered with a 3-0 run to take the lead.  A few goals later the score was knotted up at five with 8:53 remaining.

The end of the half, however, was a disaster for Marquette, as Villanova went on a 5-0 run in the final eight minutes to take a 10-5 lead into the half.

Marquette opened the scoring in the second half as redshirt-freshman attacker Margaret Kerr received a feed from freshman midfielder Emma Kern on the doorstep and beat the keeper to make it 10-6 with 27:23 remaining.  But the Wildcats dominated the next 20 minutes, shutting out the Golden Eagles and scoring seven goals.

Both teams scored twice in the final minutes of the game, but Villanova would go on to win 19-8.

“I think that we just had a lapse in the game,” said freshman goaltender Sarah Priem, who had five saves in the game.  “We started off really strong but we just gave up a little bit when time started ticking, and we can’t do that. We have to just play a whole 60 minutes.”

The Golden Eagles then took on the No. 19 Rutgers Scarlet Knights on Sunday.

Marquette came out of the gate with fire, as freshman midfielder Molly O’Brien struck first with a bouncer at the 23:24 mark to go up by one. Rutgers answered with a 4-0 run, but captain and redshirt-freshman attacker Emily Donovan beat her defender and ripped one to top corner to bring the Golden Eagles within two at the half.

The second half was nearly identical to the first, as freshman attacker freshman midfielder Kenzie Brown struck first and Rutgers answered with a run. The majority of the half was close, but the Scarlet Knights finished off the Golden Eagles 9-4.

“I was really proud of the team and the effort we put in,” said coach Meredith Black. “I thought our defense played great.  It wasn’t really working for us on attack today, but you know it wasn’t our day on the attack. But that’s all right; we’ll learn from it and get better for the next one.”

With the assistance of the defense, Priem starred between the pipes posting a career high 14-saves and received the game ball for her stellar performance.

“She got our game ball for the day,” Black said about Priem.  “She’s unbelievable. She’s an athlete and just does great things for the team. The whole defense was great today. I mean everyone, from Sarah to every player on defense, but she did an outstanding job.”

The Rutgers game concludes the three-game homestand for Marquette as well as the end of a hectic two weeks in which the team played six games.  The team has 12 days off before it faces the Cincinnati Bearcats on Friday, April 5 at 6 p.m.