State of the Union

IRAQ

Bush quote about conditional troops pullout and that there is still work to be done.,”President Bush delivered his final State of the Union address last night, which reflected on his seven years in office thus far and expressed his plans for his last year.

IRAQ

Bush quote about conditional troops pullout and that there is still work to be done.

John Connors: "It shows that with a little patience and more time the overall surge strategy worked. It'll be great to have them come home. I don't think anyone can disagree that bringing them home is a good thing."

Jason Rae: "I think it shows that with one year left President Bush is siding with the Democratic leadership in Congress. It shows that what has happened in Iraq is coming to a close.

EDUCATION

Bush quote about success of No Child Left Behind and Pell Grants for Kids

John Connors: "I definitely think one of the most important things we can have is equal opportunity of education. Pell grants will really help that. The concept of No Child Left Behind is great, but parts of it need to be reformed. It's not a perfect piece of legislation.

Jason Rae: "This is an example of President Bush's failed leadership in education. A plan that removes money from failing public schools is just poor leadership. It's time that Congress reconsidered the No Child Left Behind Act and made it better."

ECONOMY

Bush quote about tax relief bill

John Connors: "The tax rebate puts money back into people's pockets and into businesses that create jobs. My only concern is, how are they going to pay for it?"

Jason Rae: "President Bush is completely wrong in the economy. He's talking about tax cuts for the richest one percent of Americans. The American people deserve a plan that will actually help the working people."

ENERGY

Bush quotes about expanding energy research and creating international agreement to decrease greenhouse emissions

John Connors: "Anything like that is a great idea. A U.S.-led initiative is the way to go and will probably be the most successful kind of initiative."

Jason Rae: "Bush has had the opportunity for seven years to put changes like this into place. It's time that we work and these issues and I applaud him for realizing this, but where has he been for seven years?"

HEALTH CARE

Bush quote about making private health care more accessible, not government control

John Connors: "Americans who have health care don't want government-controlled health care. We don't have a health care crisis, we have an access to health care crisis. Government health care is not an option in the United States."

Jason Rae: "The plan he's presenting will not be beneficial. It's a plan in the wrong direction."

IMMIGRATION

Bush quotes about securing borders, finding ways to deal with illegal immigrants

John Connors: "We need to stop people from coming over the border by cutting the incentive. It's a divisive issue. We need to secure our borders and stop the people that are already coming in."

Jason Rae: "This is just him trying to divert from the real issue at hand. He's had since Sept. 11 to track down Osama Bin Laden and has failed to do so. (The immigration issue) is just a simple way to divert attention from failure."

John Connors is a Senior in the College of Business Administration. He is the chair of the College Republicans.

Jason Rae is a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences. He is the chair of the College Democrats.