UWM landlords fined

The tickets were issued for violation of a city ordinance that states no more than three unrelated individuals can live in one unit.,”

Eight landlords who rent houses in the neighborhoods surrounding the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's campus were issued tickets by Milwaukee's Department of Neighborhood Services for violating a city tenant code, city officials announced April 17.

The tickets were issued for violation of a city ordinance that states no more than three unrelated individuals can live in one unit. The landlord must obtain a rooming house license for the property if more than three people intend to live there.

The landlords were identified in what DNS spokesman Todd Weiler called a "sting operation." This is the city's third operation of this kind since 2004.

Weiler said the city hired an individual who seemed to be a credible student to contact landlords and make offers for more than three individuals to live in their property. Landlords who accepted the offer were issued citations.

Cited landlords can either pay a $408 fine or go to court.

One of the landlords, Mike Rego, said he said yes to the sting's inquiry but had no intention of renting to them. Rego's property is a three-bedroom house at 1924 N. Oakland Ave. He said the person who contacted him asked if he would rent to four people.

"I try to be fair to everyone," Rego said. "I told them to fill out an application. It's ridiculous because I didn't sign anybody to a lease."

Rego said he was not aware of the city ordinance, but would never rent to more than three people.

"You just can't have four people living in a three-bedroom (house)," Rego said.

Rego said he would be going to court to contest his ticket.

Weiler said the law is broken both intentionally and unintentionally.

Usually what happens in overcrowding situations, Weiler said, is that only three names are put on the lease, but additional people live in the house. The problem with this type of situation is that the landlord has the legal right to kick out tenants that are not on the lease. This can leave students without a place to live in the middle of the semester.

According to Jim Hill, UWM's dean of students, students will often overcrowd a rental unit to save money on their rent. He said there are plenty of units for rent in the area surrounding UW-Milwaukee, but landlords often take advantage of the fact that students are trying to save money.

"We support the city's efforts because (overcrowding) puts our students at risk," Hill said. "We realize that (rent) is tough for students economically, but if you've got someone staying in a basement or attic with only one exit, they might not be able to get out in a fire."

Hill said UWM tries to educate its students about the city's policies toward renting by offering a brochure to caution them on what to stay away from in a landlord.

Until 2004, the tenants in violation, not the landlord, were prosecuted for overcrowding situations. However, Weiler said that type of prosecution really only occurred after police responded to a party.

Weiler said the city will also look into potential overcrowding situations following a complaint. He said the complaints are usually about an excess of garbage, parties or additional vehicles parked on the property.

Weiler said the newer policy involving the sting operation is meant to protect students who may not be aware of the law.

"If students are cooperating we're more interested in preventing future problems than picking on them," Weiler said.