Squad loses star to pros, ready for tough schedule

This year, the Golden Eagles are selected to finish third of 14 teams in Conference USA in the preseason polls.

Marquette ended its 2002 season with a 3-2 loss to in-state rival Wisconsin in the first round of the NCAA women’s soccer tournament. Since then, the squad has lost nine seniors, two of whom were all-conference players in Kate Gordon, who was drafted into WUSA and defender Diana Detrie.

This season, the team has 11 freshmen, 10 sophomores, five juniors and five seniors.

The nine seniors helped lead their team to the NCAA tournament for four consecutive seasons.

“They put the program on the map,” Roeders said, who passed the 100-win milestone last season. “Every program goes through that. Now, someone needs to take a step and move forward. The new (players) have to create their own legacy.

“The obstacles we have to overcome is our inexperience.”

To give the team experience, senior midfielder’s Kristen Jensen and Anne Loder return as preseason all-conference players who started all last season. Loder recorded two goals and two assists while Jensen had one goal and three assists.

The team will begin its’ season this weekend as it hosts the four-team Milwaukee Cup tournament. On Friday, the Golden Eagles will face Vanderbilt at Valley Fields while Wisconsin-Milwaukee will face Dayton at Valley Fields beginning at 8:15p.m. Sunday, the teams will swap opponents at Engelmann field beginning at 2:30p.m.

Vanderbilt has won its only exhibition match of the season, defeating No. 20 Clemson 3-0 while Dayton defeated Wright State 3-1 in its exhibition match last week.

Last season, the Golden Eagles defeated Dayton 1-0.

“It’s going to be a good early test,” Roeders said. “Our legs should be fresh.”

This year, the Golden Eagles will take on four teams that are ranked, No. 18 Charlotte, No. 21 Southern California, No. 22 California, and No. 23 Cincinnati. The Bearcats defeated Marquette in the conference championship last season 2-1.

“We have a lot of talent,” Roeders said. “Our youth will makes mistakes right now, they may struggle a little bit, but we’ve already found our identity. It’s going to be an exciting year no matter what.”