Tournament tests team’s ability

In the Blue bracket, the first day saw senior Genevieve Charron fall to No. 4 seed Reedhina Perekh of Western Michigan, 6-0, 6-4. In the same bracket, senior Veronica Garcia Briseno was defeated by No. 3 seed Caroline Lay of Michigan State, 6-3, 6-4. Both Charron and Garcia Briseno went on to the consolation bracket, ultimately finding each other in the final match.

In the consolation bracket Charron beat Lyndsey Molony of Cincinnati, 6-0, 6-3, in the quarterfinals. She then went on to defeat Shelley Brady of Michigan State in the semifinals, 5-7, 6-2, (10-4), on the last day of play.

Garcia Brisseno overcame Christina Reyers of Cincinnati in the quarterfinals, 4-6, 6-4, 11-9. In her semifinal match against Rattiya Hiranrat of Western Michigan she won 6-0, 5-7, (10-5).

Charron and Garcia Briseno both moved on to the final match, however the game was not played. Charron said the two requested to play someone else since they can play each other any day at practice. Garcia Briseno ended up playing Molony, winning, 3-6, 7-6, 6-3.

“I could have played really well in the tournament, but I wasn’t consistent,” Garcia Briseno said. “In a match I could go from playing very well to horrible.”

The first day of play in the Maize singles division saw freshman Callan Smith defeat Julie Klauck of Cincinnati, 1-6, 6-0, (10-7). Smith then played and lost to Michigan’s Debra Streifler, 6-3, 6-2, bumping her into the consolation bracket.

Freshman Francina Bonnelly defeated Heidi Romer of Bowling Green, 4-6, 6-3, (12-10), advancing her into the consolation semifinal. In the final day of play, Bonnelly beat Malena Remynse of Western Michigan in extra rounds, 7-6 (4), 6-1.

Doubles play found Garcia Briseno and Katherine Nasteva falling to Moloney and Hannah Hinton of Cincinnati, 8-2. However, in the consolation bracket the Golden Eagles duo went on to defeat the Bowling Green team of Mix and Benjamin, 8-1, before losing their next match.

“We’re not doing good,” Garcia Briseno said. “We need to work a lot on our doubles team.”

Kristen Minowski and freshman Andrea Bukacek also lost their first match, losing to the Cincinnati duo of Jill Klauck Julie Klauck, 8-2. The Marquette pair went on in consolation play to be defeated by fellow Golden Eagles Bonnelly and Smith, who lost their first match, 8-2, to Lisa Maloney and Romer of Bowling Green.

Charron said the team showed improvements since its last tournament.

“I think we all played better than our last tournament,” she said. “But it’s hard to tell because it is so individual and you don’t know how other people are feeling about their game.”

The team will play next at the Arizona State tournament in Mesa, Ariz., Oct. 10-12.