MU must prohibit Planned Parenthood

VOX group stands for negative values

First of all, Planned Parenthood is not truly for sexual health or responsible decisions. Birth control is designed to make sexual organs function abnormally, which is a strange concept for health care. This is the reason why there are so many risks to using chemical contraceptives, including a finding by the University of California that the Pill doubles the risk of stroke. In its 25-year plan, Planned Parenthood does not talk about funding research for cervical and breast cancer, but only that it intends to provide universal access to birth control.

Birth control and abortion have led to increased sexual promiscuity over the last 30 years. This has caused an increase in the number of STDs. Also the number of cases has increased, with an estimated one in five Americans having an STD. A George Mason University report by two professors found that the legalization of abortion in 1973 lead to an 35 percent increase in gonorrhea and 38 percent in syphilis. Condoms are not perfect with a 13 percent failure rate and a 31 percent failure rate in preventing HIV. It also does not teach responsibility because it promotes birth control and abortion. This says that one is not responsible for sexual decisions. One now is not responsible for pregnancy and can have the unborn child terminated if the child is a burden.

Although Planned Parenthood claims to be a non-profit organization, they are really a business. In 1992, they made an estimated $64 million from the Pill (which they manufacture). It is known that from 1977 to 2001, they have made $894 million in income. This should not be surprising. Planned Parenthood promotes uninhibited sex so it can sell people birth control. Planned Parenthood states that “We must help people understand that mind, body and spirit are enriched by the healthy and responsible enjoyment of sex.” Most of their Web sites and other information for teenagers are explanations about how to enjoy sex, not making healthy sexual decisions.

In their book “It’s So Amazing” meant for 7-year-olds and older, they show full frontal nudity and talk explicitly about sexual intercourse. Their Mexico affiliate also has a movie called “Blue Dove” which shows animated children naked and participating in sex acts. Such child pornography, even animated, cannot be tolerated.

Contrary to Planned Parenthood’s message, the promotion of abstinence is a more effective way than birth control to lower birth, pregnancy and STD rates. A report by the Journal of Adolescent and Family Health in April 2003 found that the recent decrease in birth rates for single teenage girls was due to abstinence, not birth control. Also, while other African nations face increasing AIDS cases despite Planned Parenthood dispensing condoms, Uganda started a nationwide abstinence program in 1981. HIV rates in women have decreased from 21.2 percent to 6.2 percent in 2001. Also, the number of women 15 and older who had multiple sex partners has decreased from 18.4 percent to 2.5 percent. This shows that youth are open to the idea to save sex for marriage, not that they will have sex no matter what. Planned Parenthood’s campaign has merely promoted the levels of sexual activity in teens today.

We cannot support Planned Parenthood and VOX because such groups promote sexual promiscuity, unhealthy sexual decisions, the killing of unborn children (Planned Parenthood is guilty of participating in over 3 million abortions since 1973) and child pornography. I’ll leave you with Margaret Sanger’s words from her book “Women and the New Race”: “Birth control itself, often denounced as a violation of natural law is nothing more or less than the facilitation of the process of weeding out the unfit, or preventing the birth of defectives or of those who will become defective.”

Jensen is a sophomore biomedical sciences major.