Joe Amplo named to U.S National Team staff

Amplo was an assistant at Hofstra under U.S. head coach John Danowski
Photo by Maggie Bean
Marquette is the first head coaching position for Joe Amplo, who was an assistant at Hofstra before coming to Milwaukee in 2011.

Marquette men’s lacrosse head coach Joe Amplo was named an assistant coach for the U.S. Men’s National Team for the 2018 Federation of International Lacrosse Men’s World Championships.

Amplo played and coached with U.S. head coach John Danowski while at Hofstra University. Before becoming the Golden Eagles’ first head coach in 2011, Amplo had spent 10 years as an assistant coach at Hofstra. He spent the final three years as the associate head coach.

He is one of three assistants on Danowski’s staff. Joining Amplo is Seth Tierney, Hofstra’s current head coach, and U.S. indoor coach Tony Resch. Danowski moved from Hofstra to Duke in 2007, where he’s been since.

“I am honored and humbled by the opportunity to represent the United States as an assistant coach with the U.S. National Team,” Amplo told GoMarquette.com. “This is a dream come true for any coach and has special meaning to me. To be reunited with two of my greatest mentors (Danowski and Tierney) and friends on the sidelines is an experience that I will look forward to and cherish.”

Since starting the program, Amplo’s teams have entered the national conversation. He was named the BIG EAST Coach of the Year in 2014. Last year they received votes in the Inside Lacrosse Top 20 rankings for the first time, at one point moving their way up to a program high No. 11 in the polls. The Golden Eagles are ranked No. 16 in this year’s Inside Lacrosse Face-off Yearbook Preview.

Marquette has played Danowski’s Blue Devils each season since 2011. The Golden Eagles are still looking for their first win against Duke, who has won three national titles under Danowski.

The FIL Championships will take place in Manchester, England in Summer 2018. The national team’s program begins in January at the Team USA Spring Premiere in Florida, when the U.S. will play the Denver Pioneers in an exhibition.