Another season of shortcomings for men’s lacrosse

Photo by Forster Goodrich

There was a mix of veteran leadership returning for one last ride and a plethora of young talent eager to make an impact for Marquette men’s lacrosse.

This was the group that head coach Andrew Stimmel was hoping would lead the program back to the Big East Tournament after failing to qualify last year.

After getting out to a 3-0 start, it started to look like the Marquette might be on its way to its first winning season since 2016 — when it went to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history under former head coach Joe Amplo.

But from then on, it was another season full of shortcomings for the Golden Eagles.

Big East struggles continue

Playing a rigorous non-conference schedule featuring four teams coming off an NCAA Tournament berth — including the reigning national champions in Notre Dame — provides you the opportunity to see how your squad stacks up against some of the best teams in the sport.

Marquette took advantage of those opportunities early on, as it did have moments where it was competitive with then No. 1 Notre Dame and then No. 13 Michigan. Ultimately, the game that looked the most promising for the Golden Eagles was the eventual 9-8 loss to Utah March 2.

Despite the result, the Golden Eagles were in the game until the very last possession, and proved to themselves that day that they could compete with tournament-caliber teams.

The tough non-conference schedule didn’t seem to have as much of an impact as it would have hoped though, as Marquette went winless in the Big East for the first time in program history this season while again missing the conference tournament.

The Golden Eagles are now just 6-19 in Big East play under Stimmel.

A record breaking spring

The record books look a bit different now than they did before the season started in February.

Despite the team struggles, there were three Golden Eagles that set new program records this spring, with the first of them coming in just the second game of the season.

Graduate defenseman Mason Woodward broke the career ground ball record in a 16-5 win over Lindenwood Feb 9. The Townson, Maryland native will finish his career with 262 ground balls picked up. Woodward — who is soon to be a four-time All-American — will undoubtedly be remembered as one of, if not the greatest player to ever wear a Marquette lacrosse uniform.

In the Golden Eagles’ third contest of the season, graduate midfielder/attack Jake Stegman passed former attacker Conor Gately’s program record of 63 assists in a 22-8 win over Detroit Mercy Feb. 13. Stegman finishes his Marquette career with 80 assists.

The record that garnered the most attention came Feb. 24 against Michigan in a 20-12 loss. Junior attacker Bobby O’Grady etched his name in Marquette history forever, passing former attacker Ryan McNamara’s all-time record of 102 goals.

“It’s really cool,” O’Grady said. “My family was very happy for me, the guys around me were very happy for me.”

As the season comes to an end, a new challenge presents itself as Marquette prepares to see 19 seniors and graduate students move on from the program.

“Just an incredible group, they’re a coach’s dream,” Stimmel said about his departing group after a 12-6 loss to Villanova on senior day. “Incredibly grateful to them and all the work they’ve put in, they’ve definitely left their impact on this place.”

The Golden Eagles are set to welcome 15 new recruits to the program in the fall, which includes four-star defensive specialist Connor Schoenwetter.

“We are excited to add a large group of talented student-athletes for next year,” Stimmel said in a release from Marquette Athletics last fall.

“We feel that there is a good mix of athleticism and skill in this signing class, and all are impactful, winning players. We can’t wait for them to start their journey in blue and gold next fall.”

This story was written by Matthew Baltz. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter/X @MatthewBaltzMU.