Breaking: 2018 recruit Joey Hauser commits to Marquette

Joey Hausers commitment to Marquette completes Wojos 2018 recruiting class. (Screenshot from Joey Hausers Twitter account.)
Joey Hauser’s commitment to Marquette completes Wojo’s 2018 recruiting class. (Screenshot from Joey Hauser’s Twitter account.)

Marquette’s 2018 recruiting class is complete following the commitment of four-star power forward Joey Hauser.

Hauser, whom 247Sports ranks 37th nationally and first in the state of Wisconsin, was also seriously considering Wisconsin and Michigan State. Per a source, Hauser was picking up interest from Kansas head coach Bill Self days before the commitment.

Coaches at both the high school level and AAU level have praised his versatility as a player that can score on all three levels and his humility, as coaches told the Wire last October.

“(Marquette) is getting a guy who is almost unguardable,” K.C. Schmitt, Hauser’s AAU coach, reiterated Sunday. “He scores on all three levels and his size, skill, and passing game are amazing.”

Schmitt also described the 6-foot-8 Stevens Point, Wisconsin, product as “an absolute monster on the court.”

After initially offering him over two years ago, Marquette has consistently made him a top target. At least one member of Steve Wojciechowski’s staff was at all of Hauser’s games this evaluation period.

“Marquette has been to every AAU game,” Schmitt said. “Other than Coach Izzo at MSU traveling everywhere no one else prioritized Joey like that.”

Marquette’s time-intensive recruitment has resulted in a strong relationship between Joey and Marquette’s coaching staff.

“Coach Wojo has developed a tremendous relationship with the family and that all matters,” Schmitt added. “Not to mention playing alongside his brother Sam and friend Markus Howard.”

Howard and the older Hauser brother are roommates at Marquette and Howard often comes up to Stevens Point during shorter academic breaks.

“They’re really tight, so if my brother comes up for a weekend, he’ll come too,” Joey told the Wire in April. “Me and Markus are really good friends.”

The Hauser brothers played together at Stevens Point Area Senior High School (SPASH) during Sam’s junior and senior years. The duo helped SPASH win a pair of Division I state titles in 2015 and 2016.

Sam told the Wire at Marquette’s Centennial Hoopla last month that he was giving Joey “the inside scoop” that many other recruits don’t receive.

Marquette now has no more available scholarships for the 2018 class and only two remaining scholarships for 2019.

Check back for updates as this story progresses.