Class of 2015 Profile: Sacar Anim

Photo by Mike Cianciolo / [email protected].

Sacar Anim is not new to success. The 6-foot-5, 190 pound shooting guard from Minneapolis won four consecutive Class 3A state titles with DeLaSalle and was named Minnesota’s Associated Press Player of the Year. Anim averaged 24 points this season and showed up when it mattered most, scoring 32 in the championship game.

The team he is coming to, however is in a state of rebuild. Marquette missed postseason action in back-to-back years for the first time in a decade and with a season marred by inconsistency, the Golden Eagles desperately need to get back on track.

Anim signed his National Letter of Intent to Marquette last Wednesday, as did Traci Carter, a four-star recruit out of Philadelphia. Together, the two joined one of the best recruiting classes in the country.

“I think our recruiting class is by far one of the best in the country. We have players at every position,” Anim said via email. “Henry (Ellenson) is a top-5 player in the country. Haanif (Cheatham) is a great combo guard with some length, Traci (Carter) is one of the best point guards in the country, and Matt (Heldt)  is a great addition who gives us some size and can stretch the floor.”

Anim, a four-star recruit according to ESPN.com, said the deciding factor for him was the coaching staff.

“The decisive factor for me coming to Marquette was Coach Wojo and Coach Phelps,” Anim said. “They have believed in me from the start and showed they really cared about me as a player and a person. Also, while I was on my visit I felt like I was at home.”
Anim continued on about Wojciechowski’s style as a coach, another huge factor in choosing Marquette.
“Coach Wojo will be one of the best coaches in the country,” Anim said. “I love his energy and how he gets the most out his players. Nothing is guaranteed. I have to go out and prove that I belong on the floor just like the four other freshmen do.”
Anim described his strengths as, “having a constant motor, being able to get to the rim as well as gettting out in transition and getting easy buckets,” which was lacking from Marquette’s offense last season. Anim’s large frame will also bring size that was lacking in the 2014-15 campaign.
However, Anim knows he still has areas where he can improve.
“Just keep improving my range from high school to college 3-point line, defense and getting stronger.”