Marquette announces four candidates for provost position

The+university+recently+closed+the+ombuds+office%2C+leaving+faculty+and+staff+with+less+resources.+Marquette+Wire+stock+photo.+
The university recently closed the ombuds office, leaving faculty and staff with less resources. Marquette Wire stock photo.

Marquette’s provost search committee narrowed its candidates down to four people who will tour campus this month, the university announced Monday.

The finalists include:

• John Frendreis, political science professor at Loyola University Chicago.
  • Paul Ludden, provost and vice president for academic affairs and biochemistry professor at Southern Methodist University.
  • Daniel Myers, vice president and associate provost for faculty affairs and sociology professor at Notre Dame University in Indiana.
  • Rowena Pecchenino, dean and vice president of the faculty of social sciences at the National University of Ireland, Maynooth.

Ludden will tour campus Jan. 13 and 14, Pecchenino on Jan. 15 and 16, Frendreis on Jan. 20 and 21, and Myers on Jan. 22 and 23. All members and the university community are invited to attend two public events hosted during each candidate’s visit, although the events will be primarily designed for faculty or staff, according to a university news brief.

The public events will allow for finalists to speak, answer questions and converse informally.

“It has been the search committee’s privilege to represent Marquette University to the candidates,” said John Su, professor of English and chair of the Provost Search Committee in a news brief. “Now the university community will have the opportunity to meet the finalists. In your interactions with the candidates, I thank you in advance for your hospitality and your focus on both the future and potential of Marquette University’s mission.”

The university is working with executive search firm Isaacson, Miller in addition to holding provost listening sessions for students and faculty to voice their opinions and build a description of the new provost’s role.

The candidate chosen will fill the position vacated by former Provost John Pauly, who stepped down from the position in summer 2013. Margaret Callahan, dean of the College of Nursing, has served as interim provost ever since.

University President Michael Lovell will make the final provost selection. The new provost is slated to begin work this summer.