Marquette moves up two spots, back into the top 5 of AP Top 25 Poll

Photo by Forster Goodrich
Kam Jones takes a shot in Marquette’s 88-64 win over Xavier.

Marquette men’s basketball is moving back up the national rankings, coming in as the No. 5 team in this week’s Associated Press Top 25 Poll, which was released Monday. It received 1,243 votes.

Here’s what you need to know:

• The Golden Eagles beat DePaul 105-71 Wednesday before defeating Xavier 88-64 Sunday evening. Junior guard Kam Jones scored a career-high 34 points in both of the wins.
  • Marquette has been in the top 10 of the AP rankings in 14 of the 17 polls this season. It has been in the top 5 in six of the polls.

Who do the Golden Eagles play this week?

Marquette (21-6, 12-4 Big East) has an important matchup at No. 12 Creighton Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at the CHI Health Center.

But the Golden Eagles cannot look past their home matchup against Providence Wednesday at 6 p.m. The Friars held Marquette to their second-lowest scoring performance of the season in the two teams’ last matchup in Rhode Island.

Kam Jones named Big East Player of the Week

Jones’ career performances earned him his second Big East Player of the Week honors of the season.

In the Golden Eagles’ two victories, Jones shot a combined 71.9% (23-for-32) overall and 70% (14-for-20) from beyond the arc.

He is the first Big East player to score 34+ points in consecutive games since Marquette all-time leading scorer Markus Howard achieved the feat in 2019-20.

This article was written by Jack Albright. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter/X @JackAlbrightMU.