Events to do for Family Weekend

Marquette will be hosting a variety of events for students and their loved ones, in addition to activities around the area.
Photo by Shannyn Donohue
Brewers play the Cubs Oct. 1.

This upcoming weekend, Sept. 29 – Oct. 1, students will get to show their family and friends around the Milwaukee area. Marquette will be hosting a variety of events for students and their loved ones, in addition to activities around the area.

Apple Orchard

With the leaves changing color and the weather getting colder, it is clear that fall is almost here, leaving many of us wanting to participate in the traditional fall festivities. One of the most popular activities during the last few nice weeks of the season is getting out to go apple picking. Whether you enjoy Galas, Granny Smiths or even Red Delicious, chances are the apple orchard has them all, including some that may be new to you and your family.

Pumpkin Patch

Spooky season is quickly approaching with less than a week before October begins, and it is time for everyone to get into the Halloween and fall spirit. A perfect way to get excited and make memories is to go to a local pumpkin patch. Whether you’re looking for the largest, smallest, most orange or funkiest, the perfect pumpkin is out there waiting for you and your loved ones. It’s up to you whether you send the pumpkin back with your parents for carving over fall break or cut it up and cook some seeds in the dorm kitchenette, either way it’ll be an event no one will forget!

Sprecher Brewery Tour

As one of the oldest craft breweries in the Milwaukee area, Sprecher Brewery is known for its fire-brewed beverages. From handcrafted beers to brewed sodas, there is something for those of all ages. By taking a tour around the brewery, visitors are able to see the lab, brewhouse and production area, all while learning about the history of its brewing process. After the tour you can sit back and relax with unlimited soda, four beer samples and the taproom experience.

The Historic Third Ward

The perfect mix of historic and trendy, while also serving as one of the best places to support local businesses, would be how many describe the Third Ward. It includes boutiques like Sneex, selling sneakers and brand name lifestyle products, or Lela, a re-sale store which specializes in unique and trendy clothing. There are also community orientated restaurants like Cafe Benelux, which serves hand-crafted beverages and food from the lowlands of Europe. After shopping and eating there are many entertainment venues in the ward with escape rooms being hotspots. Escape the Room features four different areas that are based on movies and the Milwaukee area, all with different clues to help complete the goal.

Brewers Game

MLB games are experiences like no other, especially those against rivals. Luckily for the Marquette community, the Chicago Cubs are making an appearance at American Family Field to play the Brewers on Sept. 29 at 7:10 p.m., Sept. 30 at 6:10 p.m. and Oct. 1 at 2:10 p.m. With a hot dog, a pretzel and a cold drink, the Brewers game is the perfect way to not only cheer on your favorite team, but also spend quality time with loved ones.

Milwaukee Public Museum

Another highlight in the Milwaukee area is the Milwaukee Public Musuem, an interactive learning atmosphere with four levels of differing exhibits. With free admission to the ground level, visitors can explore Meadows in the Sky: The Green Roof, an exhibit about how its green roof came to be and the Heboir Mammoth exhibit. The first level revolves around nature, from a live butterfly garden to a rainforest filled with bugs to a life with dinosaurs, along with one of the most popular exhibits, Streets of Old Milwaukee. Heading up to the second level, visitors are taken on a journey through North America, with Native American culture, its natural environment and the connection between people and the places they live. Finally, the third floor features different geographical locations like Africa, the Arctic and parts of Asia. With its immerse experience, people are able to explore the wildlife in other parts of the world, in addition to learning about how our civilization came to be.

This story was written by Lauren Puthoff. She can be reached at l[email protected].