Marquette falls to No. 14 BYU 7-0

Kylie+Sprecher+%288%29+takes+a+kick+in+Marquettes+1-0+loss+to+Notre+Dame+Aug.+29.+
Photo by Collin Nawrocki
Kylie Sprecher (8) takes a kick in Marquette’s 1-0 loss to Notre Dame Aug. 29.

The Marquette women’s soccer team suffered a 7-0 loss to No. 14 BYU Thursday night at at South Field in Provo, Utah.

It is the Golden Eagles’ second straight loss and first loss of the season on the road.

For the second straight game, Marquette found itself in a hole.

BYU came out striking, recording four shots in the first ten minutes against Marquette redshirt first-year goalkeeper Lauren Schill.

In the 11th minute, BYU senior forward Cameron Tucker crossed the ball into the box, and sophomore midfielder Olivia Wade sailed it past the diving hands of Schill.

The Cougars continued to own possession and control of the ball over the next 27 minutes.

Sophomore forward Bella Folino increased the Cougars lead to two off a pass from Mikayla Colohan in the 21st minutes.

Seven minutes later, Marquette had its first offensive counters in the half. However, the Cougars back line didn’t allow the Golden Eagles to record a single shot.

BYU did not stop there in the first half.

With 11 minutes left in the frame, Colohan fired one into the back of the left post from the top of the 18-yard box for her third goal of the season.

It was the second straight game MU went into halftime with a deficit. The Golden Eagles were outshot 16-0 in the first frame.

Marquette’s second half was no different.

First-year Chloe Olson replaced Schill between the pipes to begin the final 45 minutes.

In the 57th minute, Tucker put one past Olson to put BYU up 4-0.

Five minutes later, sophomore forward Brecken Mozingo broke pass a MU defender while moving up the  sideline. Then the (Native) fired one to the left side of the net for the fifth goal of the night for the Cougars.

In the 78th minute, Cougars first-year forward Addie Gardner fire one on net, and first-year midfielder Caroline Stringfellow tapped it into the net after Gardner’s shot was tipped off the hands of Olson.

The Cougars would then add one more goal on the night in the 84th minute from Gardner.

BYU outshot Marquette 33-5 on Thursday evening.

Schill finished with two saves on the night while Olson finished with a game-high nine.

Marquette (1-2) will finish the two-game road trip at Utah State on Sunday at 1 p.m. CST.

This article was written by Matthew Valente. He can be reached at [email protected]