Marquette falls to Butler in double overtime

Marquette fell to Butler in double overtime on Sunday afternoon.

The Marquette Golden Eagles (5-2, 3-2 Big East) fell to the Butler Bulldogs (7-1, 4-1 in Big East) in double overtime, 1-0 on Sunday.

The winning and only goal on the day came from junior Katie Soderstrom at the 5th minute of the second overtime. The goal was assisted by first year mid-fielder Alli Leonard, and set up Soderstrom to sneak a shot past Marquette’s first year goal keeper Lauren Schill.

Butler dominated the possession early, with six shots in the first 25 minutes of the match and two coming on target. Marquette started to shift  its momentum with four shots in the last 10 minutes.

In the second half, Marquette had a ton of chances to score, with four shots on goal in a row, but each one was stopped by redshirt junior Stephanie Rodriguez. Marquette did sneak one past Rodriguez, but it was waved off due to an offside from Hailey Block.

After that, Marquette did not get another shot attempt until 101 minute mark of the game. Butler would end up taking six shots in a row before Marquette got their shot in overtime.

Butler outshot Marquette 18-10 and 7-5 in shots on goal. Marquette was offsides three times to compared to the Butler’s one.

In the goaltending department, Rodriguez made 5 saves on all 5 shots on goal, while Schill made 6 saves on 7 shots on goal.

The Golden Eagles will have a few days off until they host the Creighton Blue Jays on Thursday, April 1 to conclude their three game homestead.

This story was written by Jackson Gross. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @JacksonGross.