Men’s soccer loses in BIG EAST Championship to Georgetown

Photo by Jordan Johnson

Marquette appeared in its first BIG EAST Championship final since 2013, but its postseason run came to an abrupt end Sunday afternoon, falling to the Georgetown Hoyas 2-0 in Washington.

Georgetown has now won the BIG EAST title in back-to-back seasons and punched its ticket to the NCAA Championships. 

Luis Barraza made three saves in the match and finished the season with the fifth-best save percentage in the nation at .854.

The Hoyas struck first in the 11th minute off a header from senior Brendan McDonough. The whole play started with a Georgetown corner kick.

Marquette had its chances in the first half with six corners but was unable to capitalize.

Georgetown forward Achara padded the Hoyas’ 1-0 lead in the 70th minute after scoring off a deflection from Marquette defender Steffen Bohm.

The Golden Eagles finished the match with a 10-9 advantage in shots. 

Marquette ended its 2018 campaign with a 7-9-3 record and a 5-4-3 record in BIG EAST play. Five different Golden Eagles received BIG EAST postseason awards, and Luis Barraza received BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Year. 

Six of the Golden Eagles’ 28 players were seniors. The team will now have some holes to fill going into 2019.