Marquette ties DePaul, picks up second consecutive clean sheet

Photo by Kate Holstein

After 105 scoreless minutes, it looked like redshirt senior Carrie Madden’s first shot of the night against DePaul was going to break the 0-0 tie.

Instead, the shot ricocheted off the post and out, and the Marquette Golden Eagles tied the DePaul Blue Demons 0-0 Thursday night.

But Madden’s miss in the 106th minute was not the only near miss. Marquette had nine shots on goal in the second half and overtime, including a near miss off the post by Alyssa Bombacino in the 86th minute.

The shot-heavy second half came after only four Marquette shots in the first half.

“We knew that in the first 15, 20 minutes, they were going to come at us with a lot of pressure,” senior Allison Jacobson said. “I really liked our response in the second half to get the ball moving again.”

Marquette junior goalkeeper Maddy Henry had seven saves in the tie. She now has 73 saves this season and is at pace to set a new career high for saves in a season.

Marquette freshman midfielder Katrina Wetherell had five shots and three shots on goal in 105 minutes before leaving the game with an injury in the second overtime period.

The tie is the fifth time in the last six matchups between Marquette and DePaul decided by one goal or less.

“It was the tightly contested match that maybe we could’ve expected based on some past results that we’ve had against DePaul,” head coach Markus Roeders said. “It’s turned into a great rivalry.”

The Golden Eagles (3-8-2, 1-2-1 BIG EAST) will have a quick turnaround, playing at Providence Sunday at 12 p.m. Central time.

“We were happy with the clean sheet but know we have to start scoring goals,” Jacobson said. “We have to find ways to score goals.”