Tyler Leach embraces early role in collegiate career

Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics

Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics

Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics

Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics

Less than a month into the 2018 season, one freshman for Marquette men’s golf already exceeded expectations, playing a huge part in the team’s success.

Tyler Leach has consistently improved throughout the Golden Eagles’ first three meets. His most recent performance at the Windon Memorial Classic Sept. 23-24 in Lake Forest, Illinois, was especially impressive, as he finished tied for 12th place.

“Especially in the last two events, coming down the stretch, I would say that I’ve performed pretty well,” Leach said. “It’s been a really good feeling and definitely been a confidence-booster for me.”

Head coach Steve Bailey said he’s not surprised to see this level of play from the freshman.

“He probably has the best golf demeanor of anyone that I’ve ever been around,” Bailey said. “His success is attributable to the way he carries himself on the course. He does such a good job of staying in the present.”

Emerging out of Spring Valley, Wisconsin, Leach remained humble despite all of the noise and attention that comes with being a Division I-bound athlete in a town of 1,356.

“Coming from a small community, I was seen almost like a celebrity,” Leach said. “I just tried to humble all of the noise, and I stuck to my practice routine. Being here in Milwaukee has been a huge transition for me.”

All four years of his high school career, Leach played in the Wisconsin state tournament. Junior Golf Scoreboard ranked him as the top golfer in the state.

As Leach continues to acclimate to his new environment in Milwaukee, he said it’s fairly easy for him to point out some key differences, but not just off the course.

“Players do a lot better of a job managing their emotions and strategizing on the golf course,” Leach said. “In college, they’re just a lot better at pinpointing what they want to do.”

Leach credited his teammates for welcoming him into the Marquette family and helping him adjust to college life.

“Ever since I got here, they’ve kind of taken me under their wing,” Leach said. “Their mentorship has really helped me on the course. Over the next couple of years, being with them is going to be a blast for me, and I love every single one of them.”

Leach said he appreciates the help and wisdom Bailey has passed on to him at such an early point in his career.

“One of the biggest things (Bailey) has done for me is just instilled in me that I just need to keep doing what I’m doing,” Leach said. “He’s just really helped me a lot with my course management as well. He’s really helped me develop that new game plan.”

Bailey said he is hopeful of what Leach will accomplish in the next four years.

“He already is a great player,” Bailey said. “When you have someone like that, you’re just going to continue to grow and improve. I know that he’s going to continue to elevate because of who he is.”

Leach constantly reflects on his goals for this season and next four years during his time with the Marquette golf program.

“Looking down the road, I would really love for us to be able to win a conference championship,” Leach said. “We’re just going to keep taking it one event at time, and we’ll worry about that when the time comes.”

As the season progresses, Leach will look to continue to improve his already impressive game, and coach Bailey said he will be backing him the whole way.

Jack Phillips, Assistant Sports Producer

Jack Phillips is a sophomore in the College of Communications at Marquette University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Digital Media. He is currently...