Track and field high jumper Armstrong qualifies for NCAA Indoor Championships

Sophomore high jumper Daniel Armstrong will represent Marquette at the NCAA Indoor Championships for the first time since 2015. (Photo courtesy of Marquette Athletics.)

Sophomore track and field high jumper Daniel Armstrong qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships in College Station, Texas, March 9-10.

Armstrong, the two-time indoor BIG EAST high jump champion, qualified with a jump of 2.20 meters at the BIG EAST Championships this past weekend.

It will be the first time Marquette will be represented at the NCAA Indoor Championships since 2015, when fellow high jumper Wally Ellenson finished third overall at the event.

This was the latest of many accomplishments for the Michigan City, Indiana, native this season. He has won four events, including the Blue & Gold Invite, Meyo Invitational and John Tierney Classic as well as the BIG EAST Championships. Armstrong was also named BIG EAST Field Athlete of the Meet in New York to go along with a pair of BIG EAST weekly honors.

Armstrong snuck into the final spot, tying with Tyler Adams of Sam Houston State. The field, which consists of the top 16 high jumpers in the country, is filled with All-Americans. Associate head coach Rick Bellford said earlier in the season that if things go well, Armstrong could make it to the Championships and potentially become an All-American.

“I think Daniel has a very good shot to be an All-American this year,” Bellford said.