Girlpool brings it in Milwaukee

Girlpool
Photo by G Powell
Girlpool

There are a few ways to end a successful Fall break. You could curl up with a good book (Chemistry, of course). You could scroll through Instagram and see if your ex liked that one post. Alternatively, you could go to an amazing concert and have the time of your life.

Last night, Girlpool visited Milwaukee for the first time, bringing with them Chicago natives, Lala Lala and Philadelphians Palm.

Unlike most shows, where the openers are usually thrown in the mix by a hasty talent buyer, these opening acts really showcased their own styles while blending seamlessly with Girlpool’s laid-back, indie rock sound.

Lala Lala started the show with a lively set that got the crowd moving, although the majority of the music was unfamiliar. In a city like Milwaukee, where the movement at shows is sometimes nonexistent, that is quite the feat.

Next, Palm showcased their complicated and layered electronic sound. Their music twisted and turned in an curious way, but the audience still ate it up.

Finally, Girlpool took the stage, and after a few minutes getting the stage monitors up to snuff, they laid right into their set. Cleo Tucker immediately jumpstarted the crowd with their guitar licks and powerful vocals.

Harmony Tividad laid down the bass with ease, which is not an easy task, while also adding her voice to the mix.

While Girlpool may be known for a simpler style of music, recently adding two additional members for this touring cycle, their live show launched their music into almost an entirely new genre.

The band really got going and took the audience with them. When Cleo and Harmony sang, the lyrics snatched the crowd’s collective heartstrings and didn’t let go.

Girlpool’s performance of “I Like That You Can See It” off of their last album left the house in awe. Every eye was trained on Cleo Tucker as they sang. No one dared to move lest they miss a thing. This song gave me chills.

Girlpool is in the middle of a U.S. tour to support their newest album, Powerplant.

Marquette Radio talked to the band a few weeks ago. Take a listen here:

Girlpool talks new album, touring

Miss the show? Take a look at the gallery below: