McCormick to be razed, $96 million residence hall plan announced

Entrance to McCormick Hall. Photo by Madeline Pieschel / madeline.pieschel@marquette.edu

After housing students for more than 50 years, McCormick Hall will be demolished as part of University President Michael Lovell’s new $96 million residence hall development plan.

The plan, approved by the Board of Trustees, is set to start construction in late 2016, according to a university news release. It includes building two new, connected residence halls that are slated to be finished by fall 2018.

Undergraduate freshman and sophomore students will be slotted for move-in to the new halls at the beginning of the 2018-’19 academic year. After the new halls are finished, McCormick will be torn down. Ideas for what to do with its space at 1530 W. Wisconsin Ave. are being considered as part of the Master Planning process.

University Architect Lora Strigens said the connected residence halls, which will stand south of Wells Street between 17th and 18th Streets, will have around 375 beds each. The co-ed housing will be connected through the ground floor by dining and campus community spaces.

“For Marquette University to be among the top Catholic and Jesuit institutions in the world, it all must start with the student experience,” Lovell said in the release. “We have to think and act differently and embrace new ways of living and learning for our community.”

The halls will feature suite-like settings, opposed to the traditional residence hall model of small double rooms. They will be designed to meet LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification standards as part of Lovell’s plan to make campus more sustainable.

“This significant development will position Marquette as a leader in re-imagining residence halls to better meet the needs of today’s students,” Strigens said.

The funding will come from cash reserves, debt financing and funds from the university’s capital budget, according to the release. After the construction’s completed, Marquette will have nine open residence halls housing roughly 3,7000 undergraduate students.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “McCormick to be razed, $96 million residence hall plan announced”

1. Dave Denomie on May 2nd, 2016 4:30 pm

Hello, will it seriously be between 17th and 18th, south of Wells? That’s not where McCormick is now. It’s on 16th.

Also, the statistic at the end needs correction.

D. Denomie

2. K. Allen on May 2nd, 2016 6:14 pm

I believe that would be the new location of the dorms as McCormick is being left standing and in use until the construction of its replacement is complete, then it would be torn down and the space would be used for something else.

3. Brandon K on May 2nd, 2016 10:23 pm

The article explains that—it says that the new dorms are between 17th and 18th, and THEN McCormick will be demolished once it’s finished. They will eventually put something else where McCormick is.

4. M. on May 3rd, 2016 2:32 pm

Is that not where they just knocked down part of Humphrey to put in the new green space? What was the point of making a nice open and green area if they are just going to fill it with another building? Seems like such a waste.

5. anonymous on May 4th, 2016 9:49 am

Right across the street from the homeless shelter? the reason they changed O”donnell from all girls to all boys??? seems like a good strategic move . . .

• McCormick to be razed, $96 million residence hall plan announced

Near West Side area receives $1.3M HUD grant

Students learn to register to vote with Milwaukee organizations

New Law School poll shows Evers, Baldwin leading

17 years later, Marquette community remembers Sept. 11

Student expelled after spring semester photo controversy

Wisconsin Supreme Court rules in McAdams’ favor, remands case back to Circuit Court to award damages

New numbers released from Marquette Law School Poll

Fight against gun violence continues after March for Our Lives

Jane Doe legal team to file motion to compel documents

Mascari challenges constitutionality of implied consent law