What to do if you lose your student ID

The+university+announced+an+increase+of+%241%2C330+for+tuition+during+the+2017-2018+academic+school+year+Jan.+23.+
Photo by Wire Stock Photo
The university announced an increase of $1,330 for tuition during the 2017-2018 academic school year Jan. 23.

Hundreds of students will lose their Marquette identification cards this semester.

Carrie Peters, a Marquette Police Department Corporal, said she can only estimate how many lost IDs it receives.

“I couldn’t say the exact amount,” Peters said. “But I know we receive hundreds of them each semester.”

In a story reported by the Wire last year about lost IDs, more than 1,040 IDs were misplaced or damaged in fall 2014.

Rob Mullens, office supervisor of card services, said they replaced 2,197 IDs for all cardholders last fiscal year.

They replaced 1,931 cards due to loss and 266 due to damage, Mullens said in an email.

If a student loses his or her ID, Mullens said the best thing to do is to report it lost by contacting Union Station, the MUPD or online.

Peters said students normally know who to contact when they lose their IDs and retrieve them before MUPD can contact them.

Jeff Kranz, MUPD captain, said MUPD tries and contact students as soon as possible.

“When we find an ID it gets inventoried and then we make an effort to try and contact that owner of the ID,” Kranz said.

Peters said the only reason this process could be delayed is if a higher priority incident takes place first. If no delay occurs, then students will receive an email about their lost ID.

Eric Strandberg, a senior in the College of Education, has lost his ID twice. He said one of his IDs was stolen from his locker at the recreation center, but he still had to pay the $25 fee.

“I tried to find it at first obviously,” Strandberg said. “But I had no luck.”

Strandberg said he thinks it is unfair the fee is that high.

“I think it’s ridiculous that the repair fee is only $11, and to replace it is twice that much,” Strandberg said.

Nina Byun, a junior in the College of Health Sciences said she believes there should be some leniency after losing your first ID.

“It’s definitely inconvenient having to pay a fee,” Byun said. “I think you should get one free one but then pay a price if you lose multiple IDs.”

Alex Kikos, a junior in the College of Engineering, expressed frustration because he had to wait a weekend to buy a new card since Union Station is closed on weekends.

“It was inconvenient because I couldn’t go to the rec,” Kikos said. “I also couldn’t swipe at the Annex when I work so I had to manually punch in my credentials.”

Mullens said if students find a lost ID, they should turn it into the AMU information center or MUPD.

Kranz said he would rather not see so many students lose their IDs, but they try their best to return them quickly.

“Our ultimate goal is to reunite people with the property they are missing,” Kranz said.