Theology professor the Rev. Lúcás Chan dies suddenly after collapsing, funeral will be at Gesu

Photo via marquette.edu
Photo via marquette.edu

Article updated May 25 at 11:13 p.m.

The visitation for Chan will be held May 28 from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Church of the Gesu, and a funeral Mass will follow. A reception will be held in Eckstein Hall following the Mass.

Theology professor and Jesuit the Rev. Lúcás (Yiu Sing Luke) Chan suddenly died today after collapsing in Marquette Hall, according to an email from University President Michael Lovell. He was 46 years old.

“Father Chan dedicated his life to serving God and being a man for others around the world,” Lovell said in the email.

Chan was a Hong Kong and Chinese Jesuit priest of the Chinese Province. He was also an assistant theology professor specializing in theological ethics. He was seen two days ago, offering invocation at the College of Arts & Sciences graduation ceremony in the Al McGuire Center.

“While he was with us on campus for just one year, he had a storied career, serving, studying and receiving his training in Singapore, Hong Kong, Britain, Ireland, Cambodia, Macau, the Philippines, the United States, Italy and Germany,” Lovell said about Chan in the email.

Chan received his Ph.D. in theological ethics at Boston College. He would have been a host of the first Asian Catholic Theological Ethics conference in India this July, according to the university’s official website.

Lovell mentioned grief support resources in his email, including the Counseling Center, Campus Ministry and the Faber Center. He said the university will keep the Marquette community informed of upcoming services.