Volleyball opens season 2-1 in Colorado

Trib File Photo
Trib File Photo

The Marquette women’s volleyball team opened its 2014 campaign with a 2-1 weekend en route to a runner-up finish at the Rams Volleyball Classic in Fort Collins, Colo. The Golden Eagles swept both California-Santa Barbara and Virginia Commonwealth in the Saturday session before dropping the Sunday finale in straight sets to No. 18 Colorado State, the tournament’s host.

“We were fortunate to get two wins on the first day,” coach Ryan Theis said. “All three of those teams are going to be 20-win teams this year.”

The weekend got off to a roaring start for Marquette, as it jumped on Santa Barbara for a quick sweep (25-10, 25-16, 25-17). Sophomore outside hitter Autumn Bailey led the Golden Eagles with 12 kills and 14 digs, while senior right side hitter Lindsey Gosh added 10 kills and hit .429.

“It felt really great,” sophomore libero Lauren Houg said. “We were really consistent as a team and we came out doing the stuff on the scouting report we had practiced and it felt really good to execute.”

Houg made her first career start with the yellow jersey, replacing graduated four-year starter Julie Jeziorowski. Theis said Houg won the job with the work she put in before the season started.

“She had the best preseason,” he said. “After the first day or two, where she struggled a little, she became the most consistent and she earned the job.”

Houg enjoyed her first start and appreciated the support from Theis and the team.

“It’s always nice to know that you have your teammates and coaches behind you with confidence,” she said. “That really helps throughout the game.”

That confidence carried over into game two later that night, when Marquette dispatched of VCU in straight sets (25-9, 25-21, 25-18). Bailey again led the charge with 13 kills, but Houg was the Golden Eagles’ best defender with 13 digs.

Theis thought his team’s power serving keyed productive stretches in both Saturday matches.

“We’ve really come a long way in the last seven, eight months in terms of being able to serve aggressively,” Theis said. “When you can serve aggressively, you can get point runs, and that’s what happened those first two matches that got us big leads.”

Sunday proved far more difficult for the Golden Eagles, as Colorado State dominated the match from start to finish, hitting .294 to Marquette’s .101 in a convincing sweep (25-15, 25-20, 25-16).

“First and second touches didn’t start very well against them,” Theis said. “That’s not experience. When somebody’s serving a ball at you, we’ve got to pass it to the setter and when a setter’s setting the ball and it’s going to get in your hands, it’s got to be a good set.”

Houg felt CSU did a good job of holding Marquette down.

“They really knew how to pick on us and keep us on our level,” she said.

Up next, Marquette travels to Washington D.C. to face No. 8 Florida State and tournament host American, the top receiving votes team in this past week’s poll.

“They’re both good,” Theis said. “They both know how to play. They’re both experienced. We’ll have to play our best to beat those guys.”