Marquette Wire

Mayo to leave MU, pursue pro career

Tribune file photo.

Tribune file photo.

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Senior guard Todd Mayo will forgo his final season at Marquette, the university confirmed Wednesday, and he will reportedly pursue a professional career either in the NBA Development League or overseas.

Mayo also reportedly said he plans to enter the 2015 NBA Draft.

Mayo was the third-leading scorer for the Golden Eagles last year, averaging 11.3 points per game and shooting 46 percent from the field, including 33 percent from behind the ark. He was expected to be a starter next season and see significant playing time with the departure of Jake Thomas, last season’s starting shooting guard.

“We wish Todd nothing but the best and appreciate his contributions to the program, not only since I arrived at Marquette, but during his entire career,” head coach Steve Wojciechowski said in a news release from the university.

Though Mayo was suspended for part his sophomore season for academic reasons, the news release said he is leaving the program “in good academic standing.” Mayo also received two single-game suspensions for other, unrelated reasons during his Marquette tenure.

RealGM.com first reported the story.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Right
Navigate Left