Marquette welcomes Duquesne for first home game of season

Photo by Marquette Images/Maggie Bean
Photo by Marquette Images/Maggie Bean

The women’s lacrosse team will attempt to extend its win streak to three when it takes on Duquesne Friday afternoon at Valley Fields.

The Golden Eagles are red hot coming into their home opener, winning the last two games by demonstrating a versatile attacking game combined with sound defense.  On offense, freshmen Julianna Shearer and Amanda Bochniak lead the Golden Eagles with 11 and 10 points, respectively.

Hayley Baas was named to the Big East Conference Weekly Honor Roll this week. The sophomore sensation scored two hat tricks in the past three games, highlighted by her performance against the fourth-ranked Northwestern Wildcats. In the time span, she earned eight points on her seven goals and one assist.

“Hayley played a vital role in a 2-0 road trip through Michigan this weekend and our game at Northwestern,” coach Meredith Black said. “She showed that she could compete at the highest level against a top-five program and was all over the field at Detroit on Sunday.”

As for the opposition, Duquesne comes in with a 1-1 record on the season. They dropped a close 11-7 matchup with the 11th-ranked Penn State Nittany Lions Feb. 25.

The Dukes are led by junior Amanda Kidder, who leads the team with nine points from eight goals. The key to the team’s success is senior goalkeeper Kristen Gregory, who has a .480 save percentage, giving up just 8.51 goals per game.

These two sides have a history, as Duquesne defeated the Golden Eagles a season ago 11-7 at Valley Fields. Marquette was outshot 33-19 in its inaugural home opener.

The Golden Eagles take on the Dukes Friday at 1 p.m. at Valley Fields.