Style Club one of many new organizations on campus

This fall, fashionistas may unite on campus as the Style Club begins its first year as a registered student organization at Marquette.

Catherine Gabel, a sophomore in the College of Communication and president of the organization, said she initiated the Style Club at Marquette because of the abundance of fashion-focused individuals she has noticed around campus.

“I have always loved fashion,” Gabel said. “I wanted to bring people together with the same interests and have a fashion activity to participate in.”

Gabel added that fashionable people are all over Marquette, and the start of this organization may help unify such related and strong interests.

Gabel said she was overwhelmed by Marquette students’ enthusiasm toward the fashion-centered organization.

“I had around 200 people sign up at O-Fest and at least 40 by email,” Gabel said. “I really think this is a club our campus needed as a creative outlet.”

Sterling Hardaway, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences and former student organizations committee chair in Marquette Student Government, said last year’s approval acceptance rate for potential clubs was very high.

“In the two semesters I was chair, not one organization was denied,” Hardaway said. “We try to approve every club that is inclusive and adheres to the values of Marquette.”

Hardaway added that the approval process for new organizations is somewhat lengthy, as they must file a form with the Office of Student Development, then draft a contract outlining their goals and initiatives before finally presenting their work to MUSG for final debate.

While Hardaway is unsure of the student organizations approved thus far this year, organizations like the Style Club were often approved quickly, as they presented information in line with MUSG’s guidelines.

The Style Club will primarily focus on maintaining an online blog and magazine featuring fashion, beauty and interior design advice. There are no fees to join the club.

According to Gabel, the club will meet bi-monthly to discuss the blog’s progress. She said she plans to expose her members to important individuals in the fashion industry and to plan future events for the club.

“We want to go to Chicago to visit a few fashion events and stores,” Gabel said.

Gabel added that such aforementioned plans made establishing her organization feasible, and Matthew Lengen, the Coordinator for Student Organizations, was also immediately on board.

“He helped us get approved and into O-Fest on very short notice,” Gabel said.

Marlo Marisie, a sophomore in the College of Communication, said Marquette’s city campus is an appropriate location for the Style Club.

“I love that a ton of students on Marquette’s campus dress very fashionably on a daily basis, rather than wearing grungy sweats like you would see on many other campuses,” Marisie said.

She added that the Style Club will provide a new creative outlet for fashion-forward students.

“As former fashion reporter of Marquette U Television, I have a true passion for fashion, style and trends,” Marisie said. “I’m a big fashion blog reader and thought it would be fun to be a part of the Style Club’s fashion outlet for our campus.”

Marisie said that many students at Marquette have a unique and trendy style and, in turn, will form a solid organization.

In order to properly establish the Style Club’s presence at Marquette, Gabel said social media will be her biggest tool in sharing organizational updates and events.

“We will be posting on Twitter and Facebook,” Gabel said. “We are always looking for new members.”

The Style Club’s Twitter account, @MarquetteStyle, will provide current and potential members with more information regarding updates and planned events, Gabel said.