Cee Lo Green achieves the impossible dream: out-dressing Lady Gaga

The 53rd Grammy Awards were on Sunday, and aside from the much-deserved buzz circling around the award-winners, everyone from celebrity gossips to fashionistas are talking about the best and worst outfits of the night.

In the words of actor Jason Segel, who introduced Arcade Fire, “If you become successful enough and rich enough, you can wear whatever you want.”

In recent years, the queen of outrageous get-ups is Lady Gaga. The singer took the stage Sunday night to perform “Born This Way” after breaking out of a giant egg, wearing a pale yellow number with pointy shoulder pads and a stylishly over-sized hat. It was an appropriately symbolic entrance for her new single, but not as shocking of an outfit as most Gaga fans are used to.

But this event was quite possibly the first time the pop star has been upstaged, and by none other than rapper Cee Lo Green. Green performed his catchy, overtly explicit Grammy-nominated single — otherwise known as “Forget You” — with Gwyneth Paltrow and an ensemble of the Jim Henson Company Puppets on a colorful, space-themed set.

Green was dressed in an elaborate, bright red feathery suit, with a metal breastplate and large sunglasses. Yellow, turquoise and red peacock-like feathers added the perfect touch to complete the outfit. Gaga herself couldn’t have pulled it off any better.

This isn’t the first time Green has donned a creative costume. In fact, when he was in Gnarls Barkley, he and Danger Mouse frequently played dress-up.

One of my favorite outfits of theirs is Napoleon Dynamite and Pedro, but the duo has also portrayed “A Clockwork Orange,” Cheech and Chong and a fabulous bride and groom, complete with a veil atop Green’s bald head.

Costumes like these definitely add an extra element of personality to artists’ already entertaining performances, but what is most important is still the quality of music they produce and perform.

In Green’s case, not only does he put out excellent tunes, but he’s fun to look at too.

[youtube]-dBNb0aIGOU[/youtube]