Sil’s Drive-Thru warms up winter with mini-donuts

During these long winter months, things can get a little gloomy in Milwaukee. It’s grey, slushy and downright freezing on a daily basis. On the plus side, this leaves endless opportunities for cuddle sessions on a couch with a yummy hot beverage and your favorite movie, TV show or piece of literature.

But after getting through December and January by enjoying Earl Grey tea and Rolling Stone magazine during my free time, I realized something was missing from my winter routine: warm, tasty comfort food.

With cafés and restaurants on every side of town, Milwaukee has no shortage of food vendors. But if you’re anything like I am around this time of year, you’ll want something you can pick up and enjoy back home on your couch. This is why I strongly recommend Sil’s Drive-Thru, 1801 E. North Ave., for a shockingly delicious treat of mini-donuts.

For those of you unfamiliar with Sil’s, these aren’t at all like your typical doughnut holes. Small, doughnut-shaped clumps of batter are sent through a small fryer and then poked down a slide of bubbling oil. Then, they are covered in either powdered or cinnamon sugar and are ready to serve. They’re simple, but nothing beats these sugary snacks.

These mouth-watering bits of dough are completely appropriate for quelling year-round sweets cravings, but their hot-off-the-fryer quality makes them especially appealing during this chilly season. A small bag (six doughnuts) costs $1.50, and a large bag (12 doughnuts) costs $3.

In addition to doughnuts, the drive-through offers various coffees, soda, muffins, chips and even hot dogs. However, I’ve never met anyone who’s gone to Sil’s and walked away without a bag of their signature mini-donuts.

So stop by the East Side the next time you need something sweet to warm you up. Just try not to eat them all before you even make it home.