REVIEW: Satisfying your Sweet Tooth with Gordo’s Bubble Waffles

Photo by Mimi Sinotte
Gordo’s Bubble Waffle’s is located 1633 W. Wells St.

Gordo’s Bubble Waffles, Tea & Ice cream shop, located at 1633 W. Wells St., hosted their grand opening April 12, and I recently got the chance to try it out for the first time.

Immediately when I walked in, not  only was the atmosphere relaxed and welcoming, it also had an upbeat vibe, with popular music from artists such as Lorde and SZA playing in the background.

The shop provides the perfect opportunity to grab a sweet treat with friends after class as every dessert comes in large and shareable portions, and I enjoyed seeing their wide selection of bubble waffle flavors which satisfies all of the sweet tooth’s.

The colorful screen menu displays paper cones filled with bubble waffles:  mini waffle bites full of ice cream and topped with whipped cream, fruit toppings and syrups for $12.

In addition to bubble waffles, Gordo’s also serves the same flavors in their mini pancakes such as “Cinnamon Toast Crunch,” “Ferrero,” “Fruity Pebbles” and “Smores.”

Their bubble waffle sticks come in packs of three for $10 and one for $5. Waffle sticks come in popular candy flavors such as “KitKat,” “Twix,” “M&M,” “Brownie Bites,” “Oreo” and “Snickers.

Not only does Gordo’s serve waffles, but they also have scooped ice cream including “Birthday Cake,” “Cinnamon,” “Butter Pecan” and “Cookies & Cream.”

I decided to try the Nutty Nana Mini Pancakes, which were topped with peanut butter drizzle, crushed-up Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and four dollops of whipped cream.

I am an avid lover of anything peanut butter and banana flavored, so this combo was right up my alley.

The pancakes were warm and so buttery, they melted in my mouth, and I loved the added touch of freshly sliced bananas.

Although the prices were a bit high for my liking, I thought the portion was generous and I was able to share a lot of it with my friends, so it was worth it. I still had leftovers to take home even after sharing with my friends who came.

I plan on bringing my hometown friends to Gordo’s in the summer and foresee myself coming back for a late-night sweet treat, as they do not close until midnight, Monday-Friday.

With the bustling amount of students in the shop, there was still plenty of comfortable seating and black squishy lounge chairs off to the side for more of a relaxed feel.

The workers were super friendly and accommodating to me, having asked questions about the food. Alongside the friendly service, the wall art of Milwaukee’s well-known Hoan Bridge, Allen-Bradley Clocktower and Riverside Theater added a warm and homey feeling to the place.

My friends and I went after class, so it was the perfect way to de-stress and sit at a big table by the window to converse about our days.

We all agreed to buy a ton of other waffle flavors and ice cream next time we go to split and share so we can eventually try everything on the menu.

I can tell Gordo’s Bubble Waffles is quickly gaining Marquette’s sweet tooth and an overall appreciation for a new dessert place on campus as well as in Milwaukee.

This story was written by Mimi Sinotte. She can be reached at [email protected].