GROVER: A How-To Guide to Jumbotron Success

EricGrover

It’s the highest achievement a member of the Marquette student section can attain. For one shining moment, you are the definition of a fanatic, and no one can ever take that away. Except the camera guy.

So you’ve decided to become the Extreme Fan of the Game. You are very wise. The game I was given this prestigious honor, which I’m pretty sure was against Coppin State two years ago, is one of my fondest partial memories at Marquette.

It started near the turn of the century in 1999, and there are generally under 20 members inducted into this hallowed fraternity each year. And with that induction comes a lifetime of friendship, understanding and free bowls of Real Chili. Okay, I made that last part up. Maybe someone recognizes you on the street immediately afterward. Which is still worth it. Man, I really want some chili now.

Anyway, follow these easy steps and you too could have 15 seconds of fame:

1. Get there early. If you’re sitting upstairs, the battle is already over. You need to sit in the bottom bowl. Period. The camera is not an equal-opportunity displayer. And it’s not because you cheaped out on tickets or arrived mid-way through the first half.

“It’s purely based on lighting,” said Lee Pfannerstill, manager of video services at the Bradley Center. He is in charge of deciding which shots appear on the scoreboard during most Marquette games. “It’s about half the light level in the upper deck than the lower deck. Lower deck shots just look a lot better on camera.”

No one can see your Buzz Williams-inspired haircut if you’re in the nosebleeds. So get to the 200 level.

2. Stand out. This seems obvious, but cannot be stressed enough.

“Be something a little out there to get noticed,” said Nick Hookham, a former Extreme Fan of the Game and a junior in the College of Business. “It was pretty easy for me being all blue and with the Elmo head they gave out.”

You have to improve your ranking within the basic student section community. Get a hold of one of those Big Noggins they pass out. Jump up and down. Choreograph an interpretive dance. Dress up like Father Wild. Be somebody and you’re bound to be detected.

Like Hookham, I was in a group of chest-painters (yeah, that’s right) spelling out “MU!” I was the exclamation point. Perhaps you remember me. Heed my advice: Punctuation is the way to go in these situations.

3. No signs. Surprising, I know, but sadly true. While your sign criticizing the hygiene of the opposing star player may be awesome, it’s not going to get you on the Jumbotron.

“Signs are dangerous,” Pfannerstill said. “They could flip them around and show something that you don’t want to see, and you have no time to react.”

So keep the literature at home. Or just paint it on your chest. Write legibly.

4. Be obnoxious. People, you can’t be the Extreme Fan of the Game if you’re not extreme. Impress friends, fellow students and alumni with your school spirit. The more attention you draw to yourself, the more attention the cameras will give you. Shout. Yell. Cry. No, don’t cry.

I let everyone know how extreme I was. Eventually, an usher even told me to settle down or leave. If this happens, do not be deterred. It’s only a bluff. “You can’t kick out the extreme fan of the game!” I blurted. Everyone cheered in agreement. And you know what? He didn’t.

Yes, friends, it’s that simple. Friday kicks off the start of another regular season of Marquette men’s basketball, full of opportunities to prove your fanaticism. So get to the Bradley Center and make your parents proud. And good luck. Extreme Fan greatness isn’t just handed out. It’s earned.