A&E desks’ favorite festive films to watch

Get in the festive spirit with the Wire’s A&E desk, as we reveal our favorite holiday movies to watch.

This time of year is always a perfect moment to gather with friends and family, sip some hot cocoa and watch a holiday favorite movie. Get in the festive spirit with the Wire’s A&E desk, as we reveal our favorite holiday movies to watch.

Caroline Bennett, Executive Producer of Marquette Lately

Caroline Bennett’s favorite holiday movie to watch is “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.” She said this was a tough decision as she was also between “Polar Express.” But, Bennett said she loves being able to watch “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” with her entire family and all be able to laugh.

“My favorite character is Aunt Bethany, especially when she starts saying the pledge of allegiance at the dinner table instead of a prayer. It gets me every time,” Bennett said.

Patrick Curran, Marquette Lately Producer 

Patrick Curran’s favorite holiday movie to watch is “Home Alone” and “Home Alone: 2: Lost in New York.” He said he loves both of these movies because it is a way to combine holiday joy with slapstick comedy. Curran said he loves to watch both of these movies during the holiday season.

“I grew up watching the movie so it always makes me feel nostalgic about my childhood,” Curran said. “I think the movie, despite being released over thirty years ago, is still timeless.”

Angelina Galullo, MUR A&E Audio Producer

“Elf” is Angelina Galuallo’s favorite holiday movie to watch. She said no matter how many times she watches it, it will always be funny.

“It is a classic that is just stupid funny, even after watching it 1,000 times. I watch it all times of the year,” Galullo said.

Serena Pace, A&E Designer 

Serena Pace’s favorite holiday movie to watch is “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” (2000).  She said she enjoys watching the 2000 version of this movie because The Grinch is freaky looking — which isn’t synonymous with the holiday spirit.

“I also really love ‘Where are you Christmas.’ Whenever I watch the movie, that song is stuck in my head for weeks, it puts me in the holiday spirit. Watching it now as an adult is super nostalgic,” Pace said.

Sofía Cortés, Assistant A&E Editor

“How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” (2000), is Sofía Cortés’ favorite holiday movie to watch. She said she loves how hilarious the movie is, and no matter what it always puts her in the holiday spirit.

“I love the character of Cindy Lou Who because when I was little, I really resonated with her. I also love the Baby Grinch scene. It is so cute,” Cortes said.

Mimi Sinotte, A&E Reporter

Mimi Sinotte’s favorite holiday movie to watch is “Elf.” She said growing up every year she would watch “Elf” on Christmas Eve with her mom.

“I love how the movie is so funny, especially since Will Ferrell is in it. But, the movie is also super heartfelt. It always puts my family and I in the holiday spirit,” Sinotte said.

Avery Darrow, A&E Reporter

Avery Darrow’s favorite holiday movie to watch is “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.” She said she loves this movie because it is a comedy that she can watch with her whole family.

“It’s about a family hosting Christmas and many hilarious obstacles come in the way,” Darrow said. “The movie is lighthearted and I love laughing along. I also like that it was filmed in the late 80s, so it has an older feel that my parents and I enjoy and watch together. It’s a fun family tradition we share.”

Lauren Puthoff, A&E Reporter

“The Santa Clause” is Lauren Puthoff’s favorite holiday movie to watch. She said she particularly loves this movie because it brings back many different holiday and childhood memories.

“Every Thanksgiving my family would drive out to Cincinnati, and on the way back my brothers and I would binge-watch all of ‘The Santa Clause’ movies. We would constantly try to convince one another that we had pointy ears and were secretly elves, something that caused many arguments, but great memories,” Puthoff said.

Sophie Goldstein, Executive A&E Editor

My favorite holiday movie would have to be “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.” No matter what, this movie will always make me laugh. Every Christmas Eve, my family and I always watch this movie and constantly laugh. I love Cousin Eddie. He has to be my favorite character, especially when he decides to clean out the RV in the middle of the road.

This story was written by Sophie Goldstein. She can be reached at [email protected].