Rep. Gwen Moore opens first night of DNC

Congresswoman Gwen Moore spoke during the first night of the 2020 Democratic National Convention Monday. Screenshot from DNC live stream.

Congresswoman and Marquette University alum Gwen Moore helped kick off the first night of the 2020 Democratic National Convention Monday, speaking about Milwaukee and her support for the Democratic ticket and presidential nominee Joe Biden.

“Today we gather virtually,” she said. “But we gather unified in spirit, unified in our values and purpose to heal divisions and together move the nation confidently to a prosperous, inclusive future.”

Moore welcomed viewers virtually to Milwaukee, highlighting the city’s political history and importance.

“This is a city where blood was shed for labor rights,” she said. “Where a fugitive slave was freed from prison, where women’s right to vote was first ratified.”

She then endorsed Democratic nominee Joe Biden, as well as recently announced running mate Kamala Harris.

Moore was elected to Wisconsin’s 4th Congressional District, which includes the City of Milwaukee, in 2004. She was the first Black congressperson from the State of Wisconsin, according to her website

Those interested can watch convention events on the DNC website, which has a live stream 8-10 p.m. CST. every night for the duration of the convention, which is taking place Aug. 17-20 online and limited at the Wisconsin Center.

“Tonight, we are gathered to reclaim the soul of America,” she said.

This story was written by Shir Bloch. She can be reached at [email protected].