President Lovell visits Academic Senate meeting, discusses Myers departure

Photo by Meredith Gillespie
Marquette University President Lovell (right) visited today’s Academic Senate meeting to discuss changes in the provost position now that Daniel Myers (left) is no longer in that role.

Marquette University President Lovell visited today’s Academic Senate meeting to discuss changes in the provost position now that Daniel Myers is no longer in that role.

“I think the first most important thing is that change makes us feel uncomfortable and makes us uncertain about things,” Lovell said. “It’s very natural to have a range of emotions when change occurs.”

Lovell said that despite the change, Marquette will not be moving away from the initiatives that are currently being worked on. Lovell also discussed the search for a new provost.

“There was a challenge in the leadership model we had on campus,” Lovell said. “We are looking for leaders. I need to be more aware of dynamics, chemistry and the way people interact with each other. I always look for people who will selflessly serve this institution. We have a lot of great things happening. I don’t think we will have trouble attracting a new provost to Marquette.”

Lovell discussed Kimo Ah Yun’s role as acting provost as well. Ah Yun is helping the university transition during the search for a new provost, Lovell said.

“I have worked very closely with Kimo,” Lovell said. “He is here to serve this institution and serve the individuals here. I am confident in him that he will help us go through this period of transition.”

During the Academic Senate meeting, Ah Yun also spoke and gave a provost’s report.

“As an acting role, it’s not my job to change things,” Ah Yun said. “Whatever Marquette needs me to do, I intend to do.”

Ah Yun notified faculty and staff about the search for Marquette University Police Department’s new chief. He said there are three finalists and that he expects a decision and announcement soon.

Search committees for other positions, such as for the vice president of human resources, are still at work, he said.

The Academic Senate also approved motions to changes on the Statute of Undergraduate Studies, a new Master of Science in accounting analytics, a new Ph.D. in computer science, a new master’s in management, a new Master of Science in criminal justice data analytics, a new Master of Science in healthcare administration and a new master’s in sports and exercise analytics.

The next meeting is 3 p.m. Dec. 10 in the AMU Ballrooms.