Brady Street to host costume contest

A group dressed as Noahs Ark participated in last years competition.
Photo by via Facebook
A group dressed as Noah’s Ark participated in last year’s competition.

Eighteen bars and restaurants along Brady Street will unite in Halloween spirit Saturday night to host a joint costume contest.

Beginning at 9:30 p.m., each establishment will select a winner to represent it at a grand prize drawing. The drawing will occur at midnight at Hosed, a fire department-themed bar on Brady Street. Winners will receive large cash prizes as well as additional prizes sponsored by Bud Light and Guinness.

Jennifer Crozier, the general manager of Brady Street cocktail lounge Hi Hat, said she always looks forward to this time of year because of all the speciality costumes. 

“There is such a variety of costumes every year,” Crozier said.

While there are always a lot of superhero costumes since they are so easy to recreate, she said she loves when people get creative. 

“The costumes that make you go, ‘Oh I get it,’ are my favorite,” she said.

Crozier said she believes the contest is a great way for people to show off their creativity and thinks this year will have a significant turnout.

“Who doesn’t like a street full of costumes, drinks and fun?” Crozier said.

David Hayden, marketing manager at the new arcade bar Up-Down, said he is looking forward to showing off the bar’s unique atmosphere in its first large event since opening in August.

“It will be our first big event in Milwaukee,” Hayden said. “We are excited to show our fans what to expect when we throw a party.”

Hayden said ’80s and ’90s music videos, blood bag cocktails and prizes will all be a part of Up-Down’s Halloween party.

When it comes to Halloween festivities, Hayden said he knows the people of Milwaukee will not disappoint. He is anticipating a wide range of costumes at Up-Down for the event.

“We are a nostalgia bar with a focus on gaming, so we love seeing the two meet on Halloween,” Hayden said. “I would expect to see Ferris Bueller standing next to Venom and everything in between. We think of every shift as a party we are throwing for our friends and neighbors. For Halloween, we are taking it to the next level and want everyone to be a part of it.”

Hayden said he is extremely happy with the support coming from the Milwaukee community since Up-Down’s opening and is looking forward to hosting the spirited holiday.

“We’ve been really grateful with the way Milwaukee, and Marquette students in particular, have supported us in our first two months,” Hayden said. “We expect a similar crowd of people looking for our unique blend of craft beer and games.”

One such student interested in attending the costume contest is Jennifer Russell, a senior in the College of Business Administration. While Russell said she is passionate about Halloween and dressing in costumes, this is her first time hearing about the Brady Street event.

“I love the nightlife around Brady Street, especially the different restaurants because you can find different foods,” Russel said, “Pairing that with my love of makeup and dressing up would be a really cool experience.”