GOLDMAN: Brady Street serves as nightlife hotspot for students

Brady+Street+is+a+popular+spot+for+many+Marquette+students%2C+especially+on+weekends.+
Photo by via wikimedia
Brady Street is a popular spot for many Marquette students, especially on weekends.

For Marquette students, Brady Street is an iconic nine-block stretch of bars that offers a bustling spot for parties on the weekend. But 30 years ago, it had a much different image — it was a street in decay.

Stretching from Lake Michigan to the Milwaukee River on the city’s lower east side, Brady Street is currently in the midst of a cultural renaissance. 

And years after renovation, the street boasts some of the best restaurants, bars and coffee shops in the state of Wisconsin. It is a popular spot for tourists and students alike, as there are over 50 businesses in the nine-block radius of Brady Street.

For students looking for a good time on a weekend, Brady Street has become a nightlife hub, with its many bars centrally located and packed with party-goers.

“I like going to Brady Street because there’s a lot of unique spots to eat and drink. I haven’t outgrown campus or Water Street bars, but I like that Brady is a somewhat older crowd,” Sarah Hoffman, a senior in the College of Communication, said.

While it is fun to go to a specific bar, the street has so many businesses in such a small location, it is easy to spend an entire day there exploring the street’s history, shops and restaurants.

“I like Brady because it’s always so lively. There are so many hidden gems that you can discover,” Vanessa Dennis, a senior in the College of Business Administration, said.

The Garage, a relatively new bar that opened in 2001, has quickly become a student favorite on Brady Street. The restaurant and bar has been wowing patrons with its drink specials and bloody marys.

“The Garage is my latest favorite because during the day they have brunch and $5 bloody marys, and then at night, it turns into a fun place to drink and dance,” Hoffman said.

The Garage boasts over 70 different beers, a brunch menu on the weekends and an appetizing dinner menu with traditional bar food and specials almost every night. But it’s the bloody marys that stand out at the restaurant and have people coming back for more.

“Our bloody marys are really popular around brunch time,” Erica Henderson, server and host at The Garage, said. “The garnish is usually sausage, cheese, olives and a pickle. We just recently started making our own bloody mary mix, and it is really way better than the old generic mix so it’s no wonder those are so popular.”

Jack’s is another popular bar on the historic street and has more of a traditional bar feel than the others. It offers a happy hour Monday through Friday from 2-6 p.m. that features $2 off appetizers and $3 Absolut cocktails. They also have over 30 TVs so one never has to miss a second of the big game.

It’s not all bars on Brady street either. Some like to find a place to study or just hang out with some coffee or tea.

“One of my (favorite places) is Rochambo, which is a tea house where you can study or just hang out,” Dennis said. “They are open late, serve alcohol, and have a ton of board games.”

Farwell Avenue offers more familiar chain stores and restaurants like Starbucks, Dog Haus, Subway and Walgreens.

Though most of Brady Street has been renovated with new, upscale bars and restaurants, one shop has remained constant on the street. Opened in 1947, Peter Sciortino Bakery has been a Italian staple in the Milwaukee community for over 70 years. The aroma from the traditional bakery is evident from blocks away as they serve fresh bread daily. Fans maintain it would be hard to find better desserts in the area, as their Italian cookies and cannolis are fresh and beloved.

Through its renaissance, Brady Street has truly become Milwaukee’s premier street for a day of fun. Whether it’s grabbing a beer with friends, snagging a quick cannoli, or finding a quiet spot to study with some tea, Brady Street has no shortage of businesses to entertain.