Recruiting: Q&A with recently-committed guard Dexter Akanno

Marquette is a step closer to completing its 2019 recruiting class after picking up a commitment from guard Dexter Akanno Thursday evening.

The 6-foot-4 guard from Blair Academy in Blairstown, New Jersey chose Marquette despite scholarship offers from Virginia Tech and New Mexico. 247Sports, a prominent college basketball recruiting site, does not rank Akanno. Here’s what he told the Wire this weekend:

Q: How would you describe your game?

“I play defense. I need to work on my shooting, but I think as time goes on, I’m going to improve on that aspect of my game. For sure getting to the lane and then making decisions from there and playing defense.”

Q: Where does Marquette see you fitting in?

“More so on the defensive side because I’m long. I’m 6-foot-4. I have like a 6-foot-8-and-a-half wingspan, so I’m going to be like their defensive guy in a way, and just like getting in the paint on offense. Kick out and make decisions once I get into the paint.”

Q: What’s your relationship like with Marquette associate head coach Stan Johnson?

“It’s pretty good. He trusts me, and I trust him very well. He believes in me and my abilities. It’s a good relationship.”

Q: Was the chance to play with Markus Howard part of the pitch for you?

“Yeah, but also just everybody on the team. The freshman, Brendan Bailey, is a very good shooter. We have other spot-up guys I can kick out to and that I can play alongside … playing with a lot of those guys is really going to complement my game.”

Q: What made you choose Marquette?

“Just opportunities. I asked for God to give me the easiest option. Marquette was just the option. They treat their players well. I have a good opportunity to play a lot right away. They’re known for playing freshmen good minutes, so that’s the main reason.”

Q: What was your official visit like?

“It was great. They just showed me everything that they have to offer. They showed me why I could fit into their offense and defense and how I could contribute to the team.”

Q: What did you think of the Fiserv Forum?

“It was insane … that was my first time being inside an NBA arena too, so it was pretty cool.”

Q: Did the new arena play a part in your decision?

“I’m really just looking for the opportunity, so if it was an old-school arena and it was the right opportunity, I would go there. Marquette was just the right opportunity.”

Q: Is there anything particularly unique about you that most people don’t know?

“Not really. I’m kind of a quiet guy, I’m a low-key guy. I pretty much just play basketball, go to school and hang out with my friends. I’m not too loud, even on social media.”