Search for MUPD Chief continues, hire expected in October

Wire+stock+photo.+

Wire stock photo.

Wire stock photo.

Wire stock photo.

Wire stock photo.

Following the unexpected leave of its police chief last spring, Marquette University is using the opportunity to carefully evaluate the position and the person who will come to fill it. 

Paul Mascari, former Marquette University Police Department police chief, spent 14 years with Marquette. He resigned from his position May 25 after being arrested for operating while intoxicated Jan. 17.

The university created a search committee to fill the role, which held its initial meeting June 8. A webpage was set up to update the public on the timeline for the position to be filled, which lists the expected final hiring date to be sometime in October.

The committee held multiple listening sessions throughout the summer, including sessions for students to share their concerns and hopes. Using this feedback, the department will craft the expectations for their list of candidates.

One of the student listening sessions this summer was reserved specifically for students of color. 

“I feel as though hearing what we have to say as students of color is important,” Christian Norfleet, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said. “When a new chief is hired, it will be interesting to see how they’ll serve the community differently than the one before.”

The search committee for a new chief is co-chaired by university vice president for public affairs Rana Altenburg and deputy athletic director Mike Broeker.

Altenburg said the listening sessions went very well, and the committee received valuable feedback from students and members of the community.

“One theme that has come through clearly is that our students want the relationship between MUPD officers and the student body to continue to grow,” Altenburg said. “A few students noted challenges across the country … they emphasized the importance of having a thoughtful leader who brings our community together.”

In a press conference Aug. 22, University President Michael Lovell said the university is taking its time to make sure it chooses the best candidate.  

“It is very important to us to understand what the needs were and base the description off those needs,” Lovell said.

The search committee is set to review a candidate pool and identify semi-finalists within the month of September, according to the official timeline.

The job opening was posted on the university employment page, Wisconsin Law Enforcement Network, National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives, Indeed.com, LinkedIn and the Department of Workforce Development.

Following those interviews, the committee is set to identify finalists who will visit campus and meet with a diverse and representative group of the Marquette community, who will provide feedback for the committee. With that feedback, the committee will make their recommendations to Marquette’s chief operating officer Dave Lawlor, who will subsequently make a job offer and hire a new chief.

MUPD Capt. Jeff Kranz stepped into the role of interim chief following Mascari’s resignation. Concerning the months MUPD has now gone without a chief, Kranz said he is very proud of his staff for the way they have continued to go about business.

“Everyone has really stepped up throughout the entire department and shared the additional workload,” Kranz said.

One more student listening session will be held Sept. 5, and it is open to all students.

Clara Janzen, Executive News Editor

Clara is the Executive News Editor for the Marquette Wire. She is a Junior with majors in Journalism and Political Science, and a minor in Theology. She...