Inside Northwestern Mutual, Marquette press conference on newly announced data science institute

Following yesterday's breaking news that Northwestern Financial Mutual will be partnering with Marquette University and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on a new $4o million Data Science Institute, the groups held a joint press conference today. 

Photo by John Steppe

Photo by John Steppe

Via Twitter @MarquetteU

Following yesterday’s breaking news that Northwestern Financial Mutual will be partnering with Marquette University and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on a new $40 million data science institute, the groups held a joint press conference today.

The event took place at the Northwestern Mutual building downtown, and included speakers from all three institutions.

When asked how this will help data science students, Marquette University President Michael Lovell said the institute will expand offerings for students with new investments in the program.

“As a university we know how important this field is to the future, and so we feel like we want to be on the cutting edge,” Lovell said.

In addition, Lovell said the ability of students to work on site at Northwestern Mutual and work on projects involving real-life problems will be quintessential to the partnership. Lovell vocalized his hope that the new institute will draw students to Marquette.

“We have one of the first undergraduate data science programs in the country, and to have students be able to take part in this program is going to be a draw,” Lovell said.

Planning for the data science institute is set to start June 30, and Lovell confirmed that students could see an impact as early as September, adding that the university expects the program to grow to a few hundred students in two to three years.

“By the fall we’re going to be kicking off courses, and it’s going to build over time,” he said.

Chris Supinger, a graduate student in the College of Arts & Sciences, said, “I think this is a great opportunity… I expect this to have an almost immediate impact on anyone in this learning area.”

Supinger has two semesters left, and said he believes the opportunities provided by the institute are vital to students looking to enter the industry.

“This is going to bring more people who want to contribute, this is going to bring a lot of talent to the forefront,” he said.

Executive Sports Editor John Steppe contributed to this report.

About the Contributors
Clara Janzen, Executive News Editor

Clara is the Executive News Editor for the Marquette Wire. She is a Junior with majors in Journalism and Political Science, and a minor in Theology. She...

John Steppe, Executive Sports Editor

John Steppe is the executive sports editor for the Marquette Wire. He is a junior majoring in journalism and double-minoring in digital media and Spanish....