Men’s lacrosse stumbles against Bellarmine in double overtime

Photo by Helen Dudley
Anthony Orsini scored one goal in the 12-2 drubbing by Robert Morris.

After coming off of an emotional high from defeating No.4/6 Ohio State Friday night, the men’s lacrosse team fell flat on its face, losing to Bellarmine 7-6 in double overtime at the Midwest Lacrosse Classic Sunday afternoon.

The Golden Eagles (3-1) were looking to waltz over the Knights (2-4), but after the first quarter, it became clear that that was not the case despite leading in shots and faceoffs.

Bellarmine senior midfielder Brian Wall won it for the Knights after peeling off a down screen and beating Cole Blazer in double overtime.

Marquette got a first-half goal from Connor McClelland, who scored his first since putting four up against Jacksonville on the opening day of the season. The Golden Eagles also got goals from senior midfielder Ted Goltzman and two from sophomore Ryan Fazio. At the break, the Golden Eagles outshot the Knights 21-9, but were only up 4-2.

The Golden Eagles held the two-goal advantage throughout most of the game, but Bellarmine tied the game at six on a goal from Morgan Macjo.

Senior Zachary Melillo won 11 of 14 faceoffs on the day. Freshman attackman Anthony Orsini had two golden chances to win the game in each overtime, but his first chance was saved and his second hit the side netting in the second overtime. The short possessions in overtime eventually setting up Wall’s game-winning goal.

Marquette will face Robert Morris next Saturday at the Valley Fields dome at 1:00 p.m.