Recruiting: Five 2019 Marquette targets to watch

Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski has two guards on his roster after this season.

With limited talent remaining for next year’s freshman class and four scholarships available over the next two seasons, Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski and his staff will likely be relying on large contributions from their 2019 recruiting class. Wojo’s staff does not have any commitments, but here are five recruits to keep an eye on:

MARK “ROCKET” WATTS – Watts, a 6-foot-2 guard from Detroit, Michigan, would provide Marquette with much-needed depth. Since Markus Howard and Greg Elliott are the only two guards on the roster after this year, Watts would have the opportunity to contribute immediately. ESPN ranks Watts fifth among all point guards in the Class of 2019.

A possible commitment from Watts would align closely with Wojo’s strategy of heavily recruiting nearby states. Watts plays for the same Detroit-based travel team that claims current freshmen Jamal Cain, Greg Elliott and Ike Eke as alums.

Other schools to offer the combo guard include Michigan State, Michigan, Xavier and Missouri.

MARIO McKINNEY – McKinney was one of Wojo’s most frequent stops during the fall evaluation period. The 6-foot-2 guard from St. Louis, Missouri, is consistently ranked in the top 30 among shooting guards in the Class of 2019 despite not having any top 100 overall rankings.

As of three weeks ago, Marquette was in the top six for the four-star shooting guard, per Keegan Pope of PowerMizzou.com, along with Missouri, Xavier, Auburn, Kansas State and Iowa.

CALVIN (CJ) FELDER – While Marquette’s focus for the 2019 class appears to be on the backcourt, Felder is one of the more likely power forwards to sign with the Golden Eagles. Felder told the Wire in the fall that Marquette, Georgia, Old Dominion and Clemson have been his most aggressive suitors on the recruiting trail. The 6-foot-7 power forward from Sumter, South Carolina is not ranked yet by 247Sports or ESPN.

A commitment from Felder would also help Marquette’s odds of landing fellow Game Elite prospect Joshua Nickelberry, a high four-star prospect on 247Sports. Nickelberry has already racked up over 30 offers from various basketball juggernauts.

DJ CARTON – Carton’s ability to penetrate defenses and efficiently shoot jumpers last summer put the 6-foot-1 guard on the radar of several major programs in the Midwest. 247Sports ranks the Bettendorf, Iowa point guard 74th in the country and 10th among point guards.

Marquette was one of the first five programs to offer him a scholarship, Carton told the Wire in July. Members of Wojo’s staff frequently watched Carton when he was at the NY2LA Summer Jam basketball tournament in Mequon, Wisconsin last July. Other offers include Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Creighton. He was one of five 2019 targets to attend Marquette Madness last October.

TYRESE MAXEY – Marquette is certainly not Maxey’s most likely destination, but in the unlikely case that the Golden Eagles do land the 6-foot-4 prospect, he could be the next Markus Howard-caliber player. ESPN, 247Sports and Rivals, the three main recruiting outlets in college basketball, all rank Maxey in the national top 20. 247Sports has the highest rank for Maxey at 11th.

Maxey would be the second player in ESPN’s top 20 to commit to Marquette since 2007. The only other player was one-and-done power forward Henry Ellenson in 2015.

But Wojo and his staff are far from the only staff to visit the Garland, Texas star. Kentucky, Michigan State, Arizona State, Texas and UCLA are among the many teams to throw their metaphorical hats in the ring. Five of the teams in the top 10 of the latest AP Poll have either offered or expressed interest in Maxey, per 247Sports.