Madden’s brace fuels 2-0 win over DePaul

Photo by Russ Handwork/Marquette Athletics

It took 61 minutes to break away, but Marquette won its first back-to-back BIG EAST matches since last November, outlasting DePaul, 2-0.

In just her second start since a lingering quad injury, redshirt junior forward Carrie Madden single-handedly took control of the offense.

Madden’s first goal came in the 61st minute following a run of play by Marquette. Midfielder Eli Beard crossed in a ball that found the head of freshman Kyle Sprecher, who headed it down to the feet of Madden, setting up a one-on-one opportunity. Madden took advantage and coolly chipped Blue Demons goalie Lauren Frasca, placing it into the top right-hand corner of the net.

“Getting Carrie to score a couple goals I think is really important to her,” Roeders said in a team-released video. “You saw again how important she is for us.”

Madden struck again just four minutes later following a set piece. The corner kick landed at the far back post, but it was Sprecher once again who found Madden as she headed it in.

“Great positioning by Kylie on both of them,” Madden said. “And then I obviously there to put it away.”

Madden’s pair of goals gave Marquette its largest lead since September 10. The goal in the 61st minute was also Madden’s first game-winning goal of 2017; she led the team with four game-winners last year.

“Obviously getting injured puts you behind and you start doubting yourself and some things,” Madden said. “But being back on the field and putting two away today really feels good. It feels like I’m back for good.”

Marquette is now fourth in the BIG EAST with a 2-2 record and will host Providence Sunday. The Golden Eagles have never lost a match to the Friars in program history.