Black Love Week is successful celebration of Black History Month

Photo by Andrew Himmelberg // [email protected]
Students discuss issues at the events held during Black Love Week.

Programming by Black Student Council received lots of love from celebrants of Black History Month.

The Black Love Week event began Mon., Feb. 13 with a talk by civil rights activist and writer Shaun King. The event sold more than 800 tickets and was live-streamed in the Weasler Auditorium.

“That was the biggest BSC event ever,” said Cate Sullivan-Konyn, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences and treasurer of BSC.  Sullivan-Konyn described the well-received kickoff event as a “long time coming.”

Following a successful first day, BSC continued with daily events, all linked together by the theme of love.

Brianna Hawkins, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said, “Black Love came to be because initially it started the week after Valentine’s Day.”

Deidre Hasan, a junior in the College of Communication and the social media coordinator for BSC discussed how disheartening it was to know that much of black history goes untold.

“I didn’t know the women from (the film) ‘Hidden Figures,’” she said. She recalled how “important” black people were often left out of the history she was taught growing up.

“We also have black students here who don’t feel included,” Hasan said.

Tuesday, students took part in For the Love of Black Art. A paint night celebrating art and culture that instructed a class of students to create paintings of the African continent. BSC described the event as having a “better turnout than expected.”

Wednesday, there was a screening and discussion of the film “Bound: African vs. African Americans.” This joint event was hosted by BSC along with the African Student Association. The film concentrated on the tension between the two communities.

Thursday, All Black Lives Matter was hosted with the LGBTQ+ Resource Center to discuss the inclusion of LGBT individuals in the dialogues surrounding Black History Month. The week concluded Friday with a game night.

“It’s important to learn about other people’s history,” Sullivan-Konyn said. “It’s important for me to learn about black history so I can better educate my peers and (understand) our role in dismantling racism.”