Five takeaways from Marquette Madness

Video by Andrew Goldstein
Photo by Meredith Gillespie

New uniforms

The men’s basketball team entered the Al McGuire Center court wearing the team’s new blue uniforms, which come close to resembling the bumble bee jerseys that Marquette wore in the early ’70s. Gone is the Marquette rainbow from the sides. That’s been replaced by plain gold horizontal stripes, while two panels of the rainbow still remain on the waist. Marquette is now written across the front below the numbers, resembling the untucked jerseys of the late ’70s. At the time of this story, 62 percent of responders liked the jerseys on our Twitter poll.

Positional breakdowns

Steve Wojciechowski did what many expected him to do positionally — moving players around. Four different players occupied and defended the power forward position: Sandy Cohen, Katin Reinhardt, Sam Hauser and Sacar Anim. However, players rarely stayed at the same position during sets.

As for the guards, Traci Carter and Andrew Rowsey started for the two teams at point guard. Freshman Markus Howard came off the bench for the blue team, replacing Carter at the point guard position. Duane Wilson, who has spent time at the one, played shooting guard alongside Rowsey on the white team.

Knocking off the rust

Players had a handful of nice cuts to the basket during the men’s scrimmage, but both teams had issues finishing. The scrimmage ended with a very low score, 11-7 in favor of the white team. Issues should be expected, as the team has only been practicing for a week.

Struggles with the dunks

Cohen was named the victor of the dunk contest after a pair of quality slams. He won nearly by default. Howard was rejected by the rim every time, and Anim wasn’t able to complete his attempt until his seventh try.

Women’s team not slowing down

The Kieger offense was on full display during Madness. Slash-and-kick threes, interior passing and superior stamina were all evident throughout. The women’s team’s offensive pace did not slow down despite the team adding size in this year’s freshman class. Now the question is whether or not the defense will match that effort throughout the season.